Seven deadly paradoxes of cryptocurrency
- And if newer cryptocurrencies ever emerge to solve these problems, that’s additional downside news for the value of existing ones.
- But users want the exact opposite: higher capacity, lower transactions costs and more liquidity, and so favour larger block sizes.
- A private cryptocurrency must continually attract more capital inflows to mask the transactions costs (a staggering ≈1.6% of system payment volume).
- You can raise the value of an asset you own by buying even more of it, as your purchases push the market price up.
- The discounted cashflow model of asset pricing says value comes from (risk-adjusted, net present discounted) future income flows.
- Keep a cryptocurrency far from regulated institutions and you reduce its value, because it drastically restricts the pool of willing transactors and transactions.
Private by Design: How We Built Firefox Sync
- We developed Firefox Sync to be as easy to use as possible, so we designed it from the ground up to derive an authentication token and an encryption key – and we never see the passphrase or the encryption key.
- Where does it go?” With the Firefox Sync design, you enter a passphrase of your choosing and it is used to derive an encryption key that never leaves your computer.
- As noted above, Chrome implements Option 1 by default, which means unless you change the settings before you enable sync, Google will see all of your browsing history and other data, and use it to market services to you.
- This is a nuanced security trade-off: having less information about the user is always desirable… The downside is that Brave can’t allow you to detect when a new device begins receiving your sync data or allow you to deauthorize it.
The NIMBY Backlash Against Amazon’s HQ2
- To continue, please click the box below to let us know you're not a robot.
- For inquiries related to this message please contact our support team and provide the reference ID below.
Which of the 635000 npm modules do I choose?
- Before you reach for the ORM, I'd highly suggest making sure you need to use one in the first place.
- For Web Sockets, rather than include a list of different ones I'm just recommending primus.
- A couple years ago it was helpful to pull in some npm modules and you might have a specific use case that requires one, but now there's enough native support that it makes sense to leave out the extra dependencies if you're not doing anything too crazy with debugging.
- Use this guide to help you when you're wasting time deciding what to pick or don't even know where to start.
Create efficient Angular Docker images with Multi Stage Builds
- In this write up we’ll see how to dockerize an Angular app in an efficient manner with Docker’s Multi-Stage Builds.
- And the size of the image is only ~15.8MB, which will be even less once pushed to a Docker repository.
- We’re a place where coders share, stay up-to-date and grow their careers.
- We strive for transparency and don't collect excess data.
29 Must Read Books For Programmers
- I hope you'll find a couple of good books to add to your reading list here.
- As your career progresses and you gain responsibilities, you need to sharpen your leadership skills.
- Once you've got the basics down and your projects are no longer raging garbage fires, consider learning the advanced project management techniques described in the following books.
- Many programmers lack the statistics knowledge and the skills required to correctly apply statistical tests to data and come up with sound conclusions.
- So that's my list of "must read" programming books.
- There's enough material here to keep you busy for a couple of years so please don't think you should read all these books immediately.
- The important point is to take as much time as you need to learn a new skill that's important to you.
How to (legally) crash an Indian wedding
- A global initiative co-founded by entrepreneur Orsi Parkanyi in 2016, it connects Indian couples tying the knot with travelers keen for the ultimate cultural experience.
- Parkanyi began marketing the concept on social media, attracting the attention of Namrata Nataraj and her partner, who were planning their Banglore-based wedding.
- The couple spotted an ad on Facebook for JoinMyWedding, immediately signed up and when their nuptials rolled around, they had six additional faces in attendance -- from Australia, Ireland and New Zealand.
- Prior to attending, Parkanyi stepped in to introduce Stevens and Gower to the couple over the instant message app WhatsApp. On top of that, it was incredibly social.
- Parkanyi says the best part about JoinMyWedding for both the hosts and the guests is the opportunity for cross-cultural connection.
- Plus, the project is already expanding outside of India -- JoinMyWedding is currently orchestrating guests attending an Indian wedding in Florida.
Little partial application challenge in Haskell
- Correct a function that maps a list of negative numbers.
- A function that I wrote but that results in a mistake.
- The challenge is to solve it with partial application.
- Personally, I think the lambda solution is perfect without partial application because it is easy to read.
- But for the purposes of this challenge, here is a partial application solution.
- I don't have a Haskell environment to test with, but I tested the equivalent in F#.
- It works, I checked.
- That's a pretty clever solution.
- Very close.
- Huh, this works verbatim in F#.
- No HKT or type classes, so each structure in F# has its own map implementation.
- I'm not sure why it doesn't work in Haskell tbh.
- Possibilities are that (+) is not recognized as integer addition.
- Or that the negative sign on -1 is parsed as a function.
- Indeed, Haskell is picky.
Graham says he 'totally' will investigate the FBI's handling of Russia and Clinton probes
- Graham has been a longtime critic of the FBI's handling of those investigations -- and has called for a second special counsel to investigate what happened.
- Graham's comments are the latest sign that the Senate GOP will be a counterbalance of sorts to House Democrats, who plan to end the House Republican probe into the FBI and launch a flurry of new investigations in their new majority next year.
- Graham also said Tuesday that he would support Senate passage of a bill to protect special counsels like Robert Mueller from political pressure, even though he said, "I don't see any threat to Mueller." Democrats have demanded quick passage of that bill after President Donald Trump fired Jeff Sessions as attorney general last week and named Mueller critic Matt Whitaker to the post as acting AG.
- But Graham, who spoke with Whitaker last week, said he's convinced that the new acting attorney general won't interfere with the Mueller probe.
How Mandy Moore and Taylor Goldsmith's 'This Is Us' collaboration happened
- Moore said the idea came about months ago.
- Speaking of babies, Moore said she and Goldsmith hope to be parents someday.
- Moore's love of children led her to join forces with UNICEF and Garnier's Whole Blends to raise funds for children living in emergency situations.
- Beyond her philanthropic and acting work, Moore has been doing some wedding planning.
- When pressed on a date, Moore would only say she and Goldsmith will walk down the aisle within a year.