A judge accused of helping an undocumented immigrant evade ICE will be paid during her suspension
- Newton District Court Judge Shelley Richmond Joseph was indicted in April on obstruction of justice and other federal charges.
- Authorities say MacGregor used his security access card to let the defendant out a back door of the courthouse while an ICE officer waited outside the courtroom.
- At one point, the judge -- Joseph -- directed the court clerk to ask the ICE officer to wait in the lobby, according to court documents.
- MacGregor then allegedly escorted the defendant, his attorney and an interpreter downstairs to the lockup and used his security access card to open the rear exit and release the defendant, the indictment said.
- The ICE officer, meanwhile, was waiting for the defendant in the lobby outside the courtroom -- where the clerk told him the man would be released.
Top 200 comments