The Graphing Calculator Story (2004)
- I used to be a contractor for Apple, working on a secret project.
- Whenever I gave demos, my colleagues said, "I wish I'd had that when I was in school." Those working on Apple's project to change the microprocessor in its computers to the IBM PowerPC were especially supportive.
- Apple at that time had a strong tradition of skunkworks projects, in which engineers continued to work on canceled projects in hopes of producing demos that would inspire management to revive them.
- The people in charge of the PowerPC project, upon which the company's future depended, couldn't get us badges without a purchase order.
- Greg was lurking outside one day, trying to act casual, when another engineer accosted him and said, "I'm sick and tired of you guys loitering in front of the building every day!" Later he phoned the appropriate bureaucrats on our behalf.
Top 200 comments