Man arrested after allegedly threatening to kidnap Wichita mayor over Covid-19 mask mandate
- Meredith Dowty, 59, is facing a criminal threat charge after officials were "alerted to threatening statements directed toward city of Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple," according to a news release from Wichita police.
- He said a detective called him and read the text messages that were "sent to someone else who knew this person, but also knew me." The Wichita Eagle reported that the texts were originally sent to another city official.
- The Wichita Police Department's statement did not detail what the alleged threat was about.
- It said the investigation is ongoing and will be presented to the district attorney.
- The Wichita Eagle reported that Dowty is a retired city firefighter who the city council honored in 2008 for helping save a police officer who was shot in the line of duty.
Top 200 comments