I deleted the production database by accident
- Today at around 10:45pm CET, after a couple of glasses of red wine, we deleted the production database by accident 😨.
- At around 11:15pm CET, 30 minutes after the disaster, we went back online, however 7 hours of scoreboard data was gone forever 😵.
- It’s tempting to blame the disaster on the couple of glasses of red wine.
- However, the function that wiped the database was written whilst sober.
- It’s a function that deletes the local database and creates all the required tables from scratch.
- This evening, whilst doing some late evening coding, the function connected to the production database and wiped it.
- The problem is, you can never really test the safety mechanisms properly, because testing it would mean pointing a gun at the production database.
- However, we will figure out what went wrong and ensure that that particular error doesn’t happen again.
Top 200 comments