Several Russians killed in US airstrikes in Syria, friends of victims say
- The men were working for a private Russian company called Wagner, which has sent hundreds of private contractors to Syria to help both the Russian military and pro-regime forces, according to people who knew them.
- CNN has been able to confirm the names of at least three other Russians who were killed supporting pro-regime militia in a large-scale attack that day.
- Most of the casualties, according to local sources, appear to have been members of a pro-regime Christian militia from the town of al Suqaylabiyah.
- Wagner, which is under US sanctions for supporting separatists in eastern Ukraine, has several hundred contractors in Syria, according to analysts.
- It is very difficult to estimate the number of Russians working as military contractors in Syria and the number who are killed.
Top 200 comments