A cartoon intro to WebAssembly (2017)
- So, let’s dive into the details to understand what makes WebAssembly fast.
Show HN: CloudQuery – Turn any website to serverless API (with SPA support)
- We recommend upgrading to the latest Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox.
- GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.
- Use Git or checkout with SVN using the web URL.
- If nothing happens, download GitHub Desktop and try again.
- If nothing happens, download Xcode and try again.
- If nothing happens, download the GitHub extension for Visual Studio and try again.
A new documentary addresses the stigma of menstruation in India
- Relying on hand-held equipment and a sparse film crew, Ms Zehtabchi travelled to the boondocks outside Delhi to ask women about their menstrual health.
- Nielsen, a research firm, estimates that around 70% of women in the country cannot afford sanitary products: 300m use unhygienic alternatives like newspapers, dry leaves and cotton rags.
- Indian women can be barred from entering the kitchen and handling food, kept away from family members and shunned from offering prayers during what is sheepishly referred to as “that time of the month”.
- A school dropout from Tamil Nadu, a state in south India, he was horrified to discover that his wife was using dirty cloths and so set out to make sanitary towels at a fraction of the cost of the branded ones sold by multinationals.
- End of Sentence.” are the women who learn to make these cheap sanitary products (pictured).
Top 5 Data Center Stories of the Week: January 18, 2019
- This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them.
- Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG.
- IPI Combines Infomart, Some T5 Assets to Form New Data Center Provider - Stack Infrastructure forms with 100MW of existing wholesale data center capacity and development sites in top US markets.
- In the Shutdown, the US Government Is Flirting with Cybersecurity Disaster - Network security is an around-the-clock battle.
- Agency cybersecurity teams are left with skeleton staff, and many furloughed security experts may not come back.
- CoolIT Raises Funds to Boost Data Center Liquid Cooling Gear Output -Vistara partners provides growth funding for one of the early success stories in the emerging niche market.
How to Decode Modbus Protocol
- Modbus is a protocol designed to allow communication between network-attached serial devices or applications.
- Modbus networks are usually configured with one Master device which can be communicating and receiving responses with from 1 to 247 Slave devices.
- The Modbus protocol is used extensively in industrial automation implementations, enacting communication between the many sensors and controllers that make up such systems.
- The ability to decode and understand the messages generated by the protocol are the primary means of troubleshooting problems encountered with the Modbus network or its connected devices.
- The decoding process performs a conversion of the message format used by the Modbus serial devices into information which can be understood by human system administrators.
- A high-quality Modbus message decoder is an essential tool for individuals working with networks or devices that use the Modbus protocol.
Senate to vote on competing proposals to reopen government -- but still no end in sight to shutdown
- Washington (CNN) - The Senate is set to hold a pair of test votes on competing proposals to reopen the government on Thursday -- and both are expected to fail with no clear consensus between Democrats and Republicans over how to end the longest shutdown in US history.
- First up will be a vote on a Republican-backed proposal that would allocate $5.7 billion for President Donald Trump's long-promised border wall.
- The decision to allow votes on measures that are not certain to receive the bipartisan support needed to pass Congress and be signed into law by the President marks a shift for McConnell, who had previously said repeatedly after the shutdown started that he would not take up legislation related to the funding impasse unless it was clear it would be able to pass Congress and be signed into law by the President.
CNN Poll of Polls: Trump approval takes a hit mid-shutdown
- CBS News released a poll Wednesday showing Trump with 36% approval, his lowest of all polls this month.
- With Trump's approval on the downswing, the polls are also showing people blame him for the shutdown; in each of the four polls that asked respondents to place blame, majorities said blame lies with the President, while about a third in each poll cited Democrats in Congress as primarily responsible.
- Half in the CBS News poll said that they want Democrats in Congress to agree to a budget that includes wall funding and two-thirds want Trump to agree to the budget without the wall.
- Perhaps the worst news for the President, around half said that Pelosi is doing a better job handling negotiations over the partial shutdown than Trump (35% in the CBS News poll said he's doing a better job).
Suspect in bank shooting that left five dead quit his job two weeks ago
- Zephen Xaver, 21, allegedly took hostages at a SunTrust Bank in Sebring on Wednesday afternoon and opened fire before barricading himself in the building, police said.
- Investigators spent hours collecting evidence at Xaver's home and talking to people who know him Wednesday night, according to CNN affiliate Bay News 9.
- Sebring Police and Highlands County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to the scene.
- The suspect eventually surrendered to the SWAT team at the bank.
- Josh Xaver, an Indiana resident who described himself as the suspect's father, said he's "heartbroken for the victims." In a phone interview on Wednesday, the elder Xaver said his son moved to Florida about a year ago.
- Xaver was employed as a correctional officer trainee at Avon Park Correctional Institution and resigned two weeks ago, according to Patrick Manderfield, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Corrections.
Dozens of wild horses die in Australia's heatwave
- The Central Land Council (CLC), a body that advocates for Aboriginal people in Central Australia, said in a statement Thursday that it had to euthanize more than 50 more horses near the waterhole because they were close to death.
- Temperatures in Alice Springs hit 42 degrees Celsius (89.6 Fahrenheit) for 14 consecutive days and counting, a new record for the area, according to the country's Bureau of Meteorology.
- Health warnings were issued across New South Wales last week advising people to stay indoors during the hottest part of the day, minimize physical activity and keep hydrated.
- Australia's wild animals are increasingly suffering from the high temperatures, with more than million fish reported dead and washed up on the banks of Murray-Darling river basin across the southeast, and colonies of bats falling from trees in Adelaide, according to CNN affiliate Nine News.
Homes are flooding the market in the Hamptons
- Home sales in the Hamptons slumped for the entire year of 2018 as inventories swelled to their highest level in more than a decade, indicating the US housing market is falling deeper into a weak stretch.
- According to a new report published by the real-estate company Douglas Elliman, home sales in the Hamptons plunged 34.8% year-over-year in the fourth quarter to 360 units, booking the fourth consecutive quarterly decline.
- As a result, inventories swelled by 81.9% to 2,197 units, the highest level since the firm began tracking the data in 2006.
- Despite strong economic metrics, US home inventories are sitting at their highest level since 2011.
- In November, the average rate on a 30-year, fixed rate mortgage rose to 4.94%, the highest level in seven years.
- And the new federal tax law that capped housing-related deductions is also pulling down sales, according to Miller.