Spotify 2020 Wrapped is here — and it has some new features
- Spotify Wrapped is a feature where the company gives you a personalized breakdown of your listening habits over the year.
- Supposedly, there’s also a feature that gives you a breakdown of podcasts you listening to on Spotify, but I use a different app for that, so it didn’t appear on mine.
- It’s colorful and well-designed, but I have a personal issue with it that I tend to use Spotify for music while I’m working, and do most of my active listening with my MP3 library.
- Of course, there’s a strong possibility you use Spotify as your main music driver, in which instance I guess it’s fine?
- I dunno, the social-ready design and sharing features just make me feel Spotify 2020 Wrapped is for people with awful music taste who post stuff like “TYPICAL ME,” or “NO SHOCK HERE,” or “WOULD YOU BELIEVE?” alongside the image of their listening habits.
Apple releases its 'Best of 2020' App Store winners and most downloaded apps of the year
- The “Best of 2020” winners this year include a number of apps that helped people transition to a life spent at home.
- The streaming service had just won “best app” in Google Play’s User Choice category, announced on Tuesday alongside its other Play Store winners.
- And this year, they reflected people’s focus on self-care and mental health, remote work and learning, staying connected with family and friends, interactive and social gaming, and more.
- Apple selected a handful of apps to reflect these “app trends,” including self-care app Shine, remote learning app Explain Everything Whiteboard, family messaging app Caribu, charitable giving app SharetheMeal and the revamped Pokémon GO, which shifted to support indoor gaming.
- Not surprisingly, these lists included remote work must-haves like Zoom and Gmail; a number of escapist games and, not coincidentally, pandemic simulator Plague, Inc.; the viral hit Among Us!
Salesforce is buying workplace messaging app Slack for $27.7 billion - Business Insider
- It is Salesforce's largest acquisition ever, and represents a more aggressive foray into office communication technology for the cloud giant at a time when remote work has made collaboration tools more essential.
- Analysts say that the addition of Slack — itself the chief competitor to Microsoft Teams — will give Salesforce a way to similarly connect all of its various apps and services by way of a collaboration tool, making it more competitive in the doing.
- It's also one of the largest deals the software industry has seen in recent years.
- Salesforce's purchase of Slack ranks among mega-acquisitions from its peers: IBM's purchase of Red Hat for $34 billion in 2019 and Microsoft's purchase of LinkedIn for $27 billion in 2016 are two of the largest software deals in recent memory.
U.S. shopping app downloads on Black Friday reached a record 2.8M installs
- That led to first-time installs of mobile shopping apps in the U.S. to break a new record for single-day installs on Black Friday 2020, according to a report from Sensor Tower.
- However, this number doesn’t necessarily represent faster growth than in 2019, which also saw about an 8% year-over-year increase in Black Friday shopping app installs, the report noted.
- This trend continued on Black Friday, when 5 out of the top 10 mobile shopping apps were those from brick-and-mortar retailers, led by Walmart.
- The rest of Sensor Tower’s top 10 included SHEIN, Sam’s Club, Klarna, then Offer Up, while App Annie’s list was rounded out by SHEIN, Sam’s Club, Wish, then Offer Up. The pandemic’s impact may not have been obvious given the growth in online shopping this year, but the recession it triggered has played a role in how U.S. consumers are paying for their purchases.
Deploy a Dockerized FastAPI App to Google Cloud Platform
- This Docker image now accessible at the GCP container registry or GCR and can be accessed via URL with Cloud Run. If you prefer using the GUI, skip to the next section.
- Visit GCP cloud run and click create service, be sure to set up billing as required.
- You’ll be brought to the GCP Cloud Run service details page where you can manage the service and view metrics and build logs.
- Locally, create a new file called .env and add the connection string for your cloud database as DB_CONN,shown below.
- Be sure to add the above line to your database.py file so that it ready to connect to the cloud!
- Then we covered how to store a Docker container in Google Container Registry and deploy the container with the Cloud Build CLI and GUI.
- Next, we set up a cloud SQL database and connected it to our FastAPI app.
Google Play's Best of 2020 Awards highlight the stressful year it's been
- Not surprisingly, the top apps picked by both Google Play users and editors reflect the stressful year that 2020 has been, with a top sleep app, Loóna, winning the title of “Best App” of 2020.
- In addition to the top winners, Google gave a shout-out to a few other notable titles in its announcement, including Chris Hemsworth’s training app Centr, behavioral modification app Intellect, as well as games like The Gardens Between, Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells, and Sky: Children of the Light.
- These winners include Brawlhalla, Bullet Echo, GWENT: The Witcher Card Game, Legends of Runeterra, The Seven Deadly Sins: Grand Cross, Cookies Must Die, GRIS, inbento, Maze Machina, Sky: Children of Light, Disney Frozen Adventures, DreamWorks Trolls Pop, EverMerge, Harry Potter: Puzzles & Spells, SpongeBob: Krusty Cook-Off, Fancade, Genshin Impact, Minimal Dungeon RPG, Ord., and The Gardens Between.
Disney+ is the best app of the year, according to Google Play users
- Google Play has announced the winners of its year-end awards, including users' and editors' picks for the best apps, movies, TV shows and books.
- Disney+ emerged as the top app of the year for users in the US, with SpongeBob: Krusty Cook-Off taking the honors in the gaming category.
- Their favorite movie is Bad Boys for Life and the users' choice award for book of the year went to If It Bleeds by Stephen King.
- They opted for Loóna, a bedtime relaxation app, as 2020's best and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild-inspired Genshin Impact as the Play store’s finest game of the year.
- The full list of awards included commendations in a number of other categories.
- Google Play editors included Chris Hemsworth's fitness and nutrition app Centr as one of their best personal growth apps and Zoom in the everyday essentials section.
AWS brings the Mac mini to its cloud
- Given the recent launch of the M1 Mac minis, it’s worth pointing out that the hardware AWS is using — at least for the time being — are i7 machines with six physical and 12 logical cores and 32 GB of memory.
- Both AWS and Apple believe that the need for Intel-powered machines won’t go away anytime soon, though, especially given that a lot of developers will want to continue to run their tests on Intel machines for the foreseeable future.
- Brown also stressed that Amazon makes it easy for developers to use different machine images, with the company currently offering images for macOS Mojave and Catalina, with Big Sure support coming “at some point in the future.” And developers can obviously create their own images with all of the software they need so they can reuse them whenever they spin up a new machine.
Daily Crunch: Facebook acquires Kustomer for $1B
- Facebook makes a billion-dollar acquisition, we learn more about Twitter’s Clubhouse-style feature and Moderna applies for emergency authorization for its COVID-19 vaccine.
- So with this acquisition, Facebook can improve its offerings for businesses that have a presence (in some cases, their primary digital presence) on the social network.
- Facebook isn’t the only social media company making acquisitions to improve its customer service features.
- Alphabet’s DeepMind achieves historic new milestone in AI-based protein structure prediction — The advance in DeepMind’s AlphaFold capabilities could lead to a significant leap forward in areas like our understanding of disease, as well as future drug discovery and development.
- Curio Wellness launches $30M fund to help women and minorities own a cannabis dispensary — The new fund, started by the Maryland-based medical cannabis company Curio Wellness, aims to help underserved entrepreneurs entering the cannabis market.
Developers are emulating PS2 games on the Xbox Series S and X using RetroArch
- Thanks to the Xbox Series X / S consoles’ “Developer Mode,” the emulation software can be added as a Universal Windows Application (UWA), allowing users to download a retail version of the emulation software directly to their console without tricky workarounds, so players don’t have to wait for a re-release to play an older favorite.
- While RetroArch is able to emulate several different consoles, the compatibility for running PS2 games using the PCSX2 core is particularly notable because of how limited Sony’s PlayStation 5 is when it comes to backwards compatibility compared to the Xbox.
- It’s worth mentioning that Microsoft doesn’t officially support this kind of emulation and PCSX2 support is still a work in progress, but the early results with RetroArch are exciting: despite the limits imposed by a cap on file sizes, PS2 games do run at almost the same quality as they did on the original console.