China is closing its Everest base camp to tourists after more than 300 tonnes of trash was removed from the mountain last year
- China has closed its side of Mount Everest's base camp, a site visited by tens of thousands of people each year, to tourists as trash piles up on the mountain, according to state media.
- People with climbing permits will still be allowed to visit the site, state outlet Xinhua reported.
- But Chinese authorities announced in January that they would only issue 300 permits a year in a bid to deal with escalating piles of trash on the mountain.
- In 2015, the most recent year in which there are figures available, 40,000 people visited the China-controlled base camp, which is in Tibet, the BBC reported, citing figures from the Chinese Mountaineering Association.
- Climbers will also "be required to carry out all their waste with them" in a bid to keep the mountain cleaner, Ci Luo, the director of the Chinese Mountaineering Association, said, The Telegraph reported.
Jussie Smollett case: Everything we know so far
- Chicago police confirmed they were investigating a possible hate crime against Smollett.
- Chicago Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told CNN authorities had video of Smollett entering the Lowes Chicago after the alleged attack with what appeared to be a noose around his neck.
- According to Guglielmi Smollett told detectives during his walk back from Subway sandwiches, he was attacked by two men near the lower entrance of the Lowes.
- A neighbor who lives in Smollett's apartment building told police she saw a "suspicious man" who had what appeared to be a rope outside the building, Guglielmi told CNN.
- One of the two men investigators questioned as persons of interest in the alleged attack has appeared on Smollett's series, Guglielmi said Thursday.
- The two men are Nigerian brothers and were questioned by police after flying into Chicago-O'Hare International Airport from Nigeria on Wednesday evening, Guglielmi said.
Dubai airport briefly halts flights after drone spotted
- Earlier today, Dubai’s International airport shut down flights for roughly half an hour, owing to the sighting a drone flying nearby.
- Departures were halted from 10:13 a.m. and 10:45 a.m over “suspected drone activity,” those arriving flights were still able to land.
- Dubai Airports confirms that operations at Dubai International are back to normal after less than 30 minutes of delay due to unauthorized drone activity.
- DXB consistently ranks among the top three busiest airlines by passenger volume.
- It’s the latest in a recent string of scares involving personal drones flying too close to commercial airport.
- DXB says it is working with local authorities to address the incident.
- “Dubai Airports has worked closely with the appropriate authorities to ensure that the safety of airport operations is maintained at all times and to minimize any inconvenience to our customers,” the airport said in a statement to The New York Times.
Dubai Airport Disrupted by 'Unauthorized Drone Activity'
- Dubai International Airport stopped flights for a half hour Friday morning following “unauthorized drone activity”.
- It follows an incident at London’s Gatwick Airport in December, which descended into chaos as drones disrupted pre-Christmas flights for 33 hours, causing approximately £50 million ($64.5 million) in losses.
- Dubai is the world’s busiest international airport, handling about 90 million passengers last year, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- No one was ever arrested for the Gatwick drone disruption, which canceled 1,000 flights and affected more than 140,000 passengers.
- In January, both London Heathrow and Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey had to briefly stop flights after drone sightings.
- Until aviation authorities can figure out how to keep people from flying drones near airports, Gatwick is planning an “airport drone incursion rehearsal” — a drone drill — to be better prepared for future incidents.
Two Indiana teens were killed in 2017. Police still get at least a dozen tips a day
- Two years to the day since two Indiana teenage girls were killed while hiking in the woods, authorities put out a new call for tips to try to solve the case.
- And on any given day, they receive a dozen or more new tips, Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland said.
- McLeland and other authorities spoke at a press conference on Wednesday in an attempt to keep Abby and Libby in the news and get more tips.
- Dave Bursten, the chief public information officer for Indiana State Police, previously praised Libby as a hero for having the presence of mind to turn on her video camera.
- The person in the sketch is described as a white male between 5 feet 6 inches and 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 180 to 220 pounds, with reddish brown hair and unknown eye color, a news release said.
500,000 cattle survived years-long drought only to die in the rain
- Authorities estimate that nearly 500,000 cattle -- worth about $213 million (AU$300 million) -- have been killed by flooding in Queensland's north since the rain began falling late last month, CNN affiliate Seven News reported.
- But cattle farmers and industry lobbyists say the worst could be yet to come.
- Australia's beef industry is one of the country's biggest economic drivers, with exports in 2017 worth $5.3 billion (AU$7.4 billion).
- About $6.1 billion (AU$8.6 billion) worth of beef was consumed domestically from July 2017 until June 2018, according to trade group Meat & Livestock Australia.
- Authorities have resorted to air drops to provide feed, but the affected areas are so vast they may not be able to reach all the animals in need.
- Meanwhile, one person has died from a soil-borne bacterial disease after the flood waters receded from the regional center of Townsville, Dr. Julie Mudd from the local health unit told reporters.
Another foot washed up in British Columbia. Authorities are not alarmed
- A foot found inside a new Nike running shoe in September is the 15th discovered in the area since 2007.
- The coroners service in the Canadian province has not been able to identify who it belongs to yet and on Monday asked for the public's help.
- Authorities have said it is because of the way humans decompose.
- They note that feet are protected by shoes from the elements and marine creatures.
- Ten previous feet have been matched to missing people, the coroners service said on its website.
- This 15th foot was found in West Vancouver and DNA tests were unable to tie the remains to a missing person.
- Authorities released a photo of a light gray Nike Free RN shoe with white laces, a white sole and a blue sock.
- The bone structure indicates the person was younger than 50, the coroner's office said.