White House defends Trump's Twitter attack on Greta Thunberg - Business Insider
- Trump was passed over for Time Magazine's 2019 Person of the Year in favor of Thunberg, a 16-year-old Swedish student who has risen to international fame for her powerful climate activism.
- Many questioned why First Lady Melania Trump did not condemn Trump's public attack on Thunberg, given that she runs an anti-cyber-bullying initiative called #BeBest, and sharply criticized a witness in Trump's impeachment inquiry for making a play on words out of her 13-year-old son Barron's name.
- In a statement to CNN's Kate Bennet, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham emphasized that the First Lady and the president "communicate differently," and suggested that it was fair for Trump to attack Thunberg because she is a public figure.
Biden, Warren, Sanders, Yang, Buttigieg may skip Democratic debate - Business Insider
- Five top Democratic contenders for the 2020 nomination are threatening to skip next week's primary debate at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles in solidarity with campus food service workers who are on strike.
- Former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, the entrepreneur Andrew Yang, and South Bend, Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg have all signaled their support for UNITE HERE Local 11, which represents 150 servers, dishwashers, cashiers, and cooks at LMU.
- The group asked Democratic candidates not to cross the picket line at the university where workers are on strike after contract negotiations for better wages and healthcare with Sodexo, the company that employs the workers, broke down on Friday.
- The Bernie Bro is over.
- Introducing the Yang Bro, the Bloomberg Bro, and the Gabbard Bro.
Adam Kay: US has been brainwashed about healthcare compared to UK - Business Insider
- Adam Kay says he had never paid a single medical bill in his life.
- That was the day that Kay got a glimpse of just how different the US healthcare system is from his home system in the UK, where medical care is taxpayer-funded.
- Now British Prime Minister and Conservative leader Boris Johnson is promising to reverse course, making the national health care system the country's first priority.
- Despite ongoing issues of cash and people power, the NHS still tends to outperform private care systems in the US.
- The cost of US healthcare is consistently at the top of the list of issues Americans are worried most about.
- In the UK, while people are still concerned about the direction of their national health care system, they're more likely to say their top life worry is a looming Brexit deal, or crime, or maybe the environment.
A look inside the daily life of German chancellor Angela Merkel - Business Insider
- Angela Merkel has been the most powerful woman on Earth for almost a decade, according to Forbes.
- The German chancellor took the top spot on Forbes' 100 Most Powerful Women list for the ninth consecutive year.
- The runners-up included President of the European Central Bank Christine Lagarde, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, President of the European Commission Ursula Von Der Leyen, and General Motors CEO Mary Barra.
- Merkel's reign over the ranking may be coming to a close, however.
- Despite Merkel's power, little is known about her personal life.
- Since becoming chancellor in 2005, the former chemist has managed to cultivate an "image of deep personal integrity and a tightly guarded private life," writes Melissa Eddy in the New York Times.
- However, by piecing together various details, one can come away with a view of the chancellor's daily routine.
Comedians make Michael Bloomberg parody video of Pete Buttigieg dance - Business Insider
- Bloomberg, a 77-year-old billionaire who entered the 2020 race this November and is self-funding his own campaign, has been widely criticized as out-of-touch and met with skepticism from much of the Democratic primary electorate.
- But a quick scan of Ciarelli's Twitter feed showed that he is a member of the comedy group Upright Citizens Brigade of Los Angeles and certainly not a Bloomberg supporter, posting several tweets in support of the United Kingdom's left-wing Labour party.
- BuzzFeed News spoke with Desus & Mero writer Ziwe Fumudoh, who confirmed that the video was filmed Thursday night at Ciarelli's monthly comedy show at Upright Citizens Brigade of Los Angeles theater.
- The UCB's prank video was a play on Mayor Pete Buttigieg's campaign signature dance to Panic!
- Buttigieg's campaign dance has become a popular target of mockery on the video app TikTok. The Bernie Bro is over.
Read the spreadsheet that Stacey Abrams has used to track her life goals since she was 18 - Business Insider
- For Abrams, goal-setting with a spreadsheet — including columns for the year, her age, her desired job, and tasks — helped her envision what she wanted to achieve and begin creating a concrete roadmap to get there.
- At age 18, Abrams' goals included writing a best-selling spy novel by age 24, being a millionaire running a corporation by age 30, and becoming the mayor of Atlanta by age 35.
- She's even accomplished versions of the very goals she set as a teenager: Abrams has written eight romantic suspense novels (one of which will be turned into a CBS drama), cofounded the financial services company Nowaccount Network Corporation, and served as minority leader in the Georgia House of Representatives.
- Abrams told The New York Times in August that her current focus is fighting voter suppression and setting the stage for fair elections in 2020.
Apple to offer free genetic testing for employees, report says - Business Insider
- Apple's Silicon Valley workers can now receive on-site genetics tests for free, CNBC's Christina Farr first reported.
- The tests will reportedly be carried out at Apple's health clinics through a partnership with Color Genomics.
- Apple's clinics, called "AC Wellness," provide on-site healthcare to employees and their dependents — just one of many high-end perks Apple offers in order to recruit and retain top talent.
- Genetic testing can be expensive — a standard test from Color costs nearly $300, according to its website.
- Apple won't have access to workers' genetic test results, even though they're subsidized and carried out by Apple's AC Wellness clinics, according to CNBC.
- In order to comply with health privacy laws, AC Wellness clinics' administrative functions are incorporated through a separate subsidiary of Apple, and its clinicians are not employed by Apple.
- Apple isn't alone in offering high-end healthcare perks to its employees.
Trump threatens Democrats, says GOP House will impeach Dem president - Business Insider
- President Donald Trump accused House Democrats of "trivializing" impeachment at a Friday Oval Office sit-down with Paraguay's President Mario Abdo Benitez and warned that it would encourage a future Republican Congress to impeach a Democrat.
- Earlier on Friday, the House Judiciary Committee voted to advance two articles of impeachment against Trump for abusing his office and obstructing Congress.
- The complaint detailed concerns that Trump, days after withholding a nearly $400 million military-aid package, used the call with Zelensky to pressure the Ukrainian government to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.
- Multiple diplomats testified under oath that the Trump administration explicitly conditioned lifting the hold of the military aid to Ukraine on Zelensky publicly announcing investigations into Burisma and a discredited conspiracy theory that Ukraine meddled in the 2016 election to benefit Hillary Clinton.
Here's your first look at Microsoft's wild new game console, the Xbox Series X - Business Insider
- A new, next-generation Xbox game console got a surprise reveal on Thursday night: the Xbox Series X.
- It plays Blu-ray discs, it has built-in storage, and it contains some pretty hefty horsepower to power the next generation of console gaming.
- Similar to the design of the box, the gamepad is remarkably similar to the current Xbox One gamepad — albeit streamlined and updated.
- It comes with two major new additions: a Share button, intended for easily capturing screenshots and gameplay video (and then sharing it), and a new d-pad, which is modeled on the Xbox One Elite gamepad d-pad design.
- The new gamepad will work with the Xbox One as well as the Xbox Series X, despite belonging to different game console generations, just as old Xbox One gamepads will work with the Series X.
29,000 Facebook employees' payroll data stolen in car theft - Business Insider
- A thief reportedly broke into a Facebook worker's car last month and stole several corporate hard drives containing the banking information of 29,000 current and former Facebook employees, first reported by Bloomberg.
- The stolen data reportedly included employee names, bank account numbers, and last four digits of social security numbers.
- Information about salaries and bonus amounts was also included on the drives.
- "This theft impacts current and former Facebook employees only and no Facebook user data was involved," a company spokesperson told Business Insider.
- Facebook alerted employees to the stolen data in an email Friday morning.
- According to Bloomberg, the employee whose car was broken into worked in Facebook's payroll department and broke protocol by taking the hard drives outside the office.