These are the top 15 US banks ranked by the mobile banking features consumers value most
- Business Insider Intelligence The Mobile Banking Competitive Edge Report uses data to inform channel investment decisions by highlighting which mobile banking features are most valuable to customers.
- Using that consumer data, the study benchmarks the largest 20 banks and credit unions in the US by whether they offer the cutting-edge mobile features that customers say they care about most.
- Business Insider Intelligence fielded the Mobile Banking Competitive Edge Study to members of its proprietary panel in August 2018, reaching over 1,200 US consumers — primarily handpicked digital professionals and early-adopters, making our sample a sensitive indicator of emerging features.
- Business Insider Intelligence's Mobile Banking Competitive Edge study includes: Ally, Bank of America, BB&T;, BBVA Compass, BMO Harris, Capital One, Chase, Citibank, Fifth Third, HSBC, KeyBank, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC, Regions, SunTrust, TD, Union Bank, US Bank, USAA, and Wells Fargo.
Elon Musk says Tesla will develop an 'electric leaf blower'
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk says his company is planning to develop a new creation — only this time, it won't be rolling on four wheels.
- The statements come on the heels of Musk's other viral non-automotive related creations, such as The Boring Company's "Not-a-Flamethrower" flamethrower.
- The 20,000 flamethrowers Musk sold were essentially roofing torches encased in an air rifle shell.
- They were valued at $500.
- They sold out in five days.
- Like the flamethrower, electric leaf blowers already exist.
- And judging by videos, they still emit quite a bit of sound.
- Business Insider has reached out to Tesla for comment on Musk's proposed electric leaf blowers.
- Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
Here are the executive power moves that help explain everything that's going on in finance, tech and retail
- Last week, JPMorgan named a new CFO and moved finance chief Marianne Lake to a new role.
- JPMorgan Chase & Co. announced that Jennifer Piepszak will be replacing Marianne Lake as Chief Financial Officer of the company.
- Enslin spent the last 27 years at SAP in leadership roles across sales and operations, most recently as the President, Cloud Business Group and Executive Board Member.
- Best Buy has announced that Corie Barry, currently Chief Financial and Strategic Transformation Officer, will become the company's next Chief Executive Officer effective in June.
- Hubert Joly, the company's current CEO, will transition to the newly created role of Executive Chairman of the Board.
- Barry joined Best Buy in 1999 and has held a variety of financial and operational roles within the organization, both in the field and at the corporate campus.
Snap's stronger-than-expected Q1 shows how it's revved up a critical part of its business even though user growth is stuck in the mud
- With revenues of $320 million beating consensus estimates of $307.4 million, Snap surpassed analyst expectations in the first quarter — briefly sending its stock soaring.
- But when it comes to Snap's relationship with advertisers, the Q1 report card is the latest of numerous encouraging signs, according to ad sales intelligence platform MediaRadar.
- The growth in recurring advertisers can be attributed to the company's shift to programmatic starting to stabilize, as well as investments Snap has made to improve its Ads Manager, with advanced features such as target cost bidding and new bulk uploading capabilities.
- Snap also seems to be broadening its advertiser base, with MediaRadar estimating that 42% of its Q1 2019 advertisers are entirely new to the platform.
- Expect that number to swell more, with Jeremi Gorman, its chief business officer, installing a whole new "Scaled Services" sales team focused on bringing more advertisers to the platform.
Fintech startup SoFi is reportedly in talks to raise $500 million from Qatar, but won't gain any value from 2017
- Online lending platform Social Finance is in talks to raise $500 million in funding from the Qatar Investment Authority and others, according to Bloomberg.
- The new round would value SoFi around $4.3 billion, the same valuation of its 2017 financing round led by Silver Lake, according to Bloomberg.
- Investors have sought protective clauses in the terms of the deal which would safeguard them them in case the company raises money or gets acquired below that price down the road, according to the report.
- Though the round is large by venture capital standards, it's just half the size of SoftBank's $1 billion investment in SoFi back in 2015, which valued the company at $2.6 billion.
- The company also raised money from G Squared in December 2018, according to PitchBook.
Rochester Drug Cooperative fined $20 million in first US criminal case against a major drug distributor over opioids
- NEW YORK (Reuters) - The US government on Tuesday filed its first criminal charges against a major drug distributor and company executives over their alleged roles in fueling the nation's opioid epidemic by putting profits ahead of patients' safety.
- Rochester Drug Co-operative, one of the 10 largest US drug distributors, agreed to pay a $20 million fine and enter a five-year deferred prosecution agreement to resolve charges it turned a blind eye to thousands of suspicious orders for opioids.
- Doud, 75, of New Smyrna, Florida, pleaded not guilty at an afternoon hearing in Manhattan federal court and was released on $500,000 bail.
- Prosecutors said RDC identified about 8,300 potentially suspicious "orders of interest," including for oxycodone, from 2012 to 2016, but reported just four to the federal Drug Enforcement Administration.
'Avengers Endgame' will completely blindside fans who think they know anything about the 3-hour franchise-ender
- You don't need to watch every Marvel movie again before seeing "Endgame." However, I highly recommend watching "Avengers: Infinity War." "Endgame" wastes absolutely no time picking up where the 2018 movie left off.
- Yes, there are a lot of narrative arcs that need to be accounted for in this film, but I think it's important to remember this isn't the first superhero movie to attempt to tell the sweeping story that "Endgame" accomplishes.
- Without heavy spoilers, there's only one other superhero movie I can think of that has ever attempted to do anything close to the scale of "Endgame" successfully and that's Fox's underrated 2014 hit "X-Men: Days of Future Past." That movie, which sits at an impressive 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, was just over 2 hours and combined the cast of young and old heroes to undo the events of a harrowing future.
Insurtech Research Report: The trends & technologies allowing insurance startups to compete
- This is a preview of the Insurtech Research report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- Tech-driven disruption in the insurance industry continues at pace, and we're now entering a new phase — the adaptation of underlying business models.
- Established insurance companies are investing heavily in insurtech technology to compete with lean startups.
- Insurtech investments cut operating costs, giving new insurtech companies a chance to compete on pricing.
- The Insurtech 2.0 Report from Business Insider Intelligence, Business Insider's premium research service, will briefly review major changes in the insurtech segment over the past year.
- It will then examine how startups and legacy players across the insurance value chain are using technology to develop new business models that cut costs or boost revenue, and, in some cases, both.
16 signs we're in the middle of a 6th mass extinction
- According to the study authors, amphibian deaths associated with the chytrid fungus represent the greatest recorded loss of biodiversity attributable to a disease, and highly virulent wildlife diseases are contributing to Earth's sixth mass extinction.
- The scientists behind that study, which was published in 2018, concluded that after that loss, our planet will need between 3 million and 5 million years in a best-case scenario to get back to the level of biodiversity we have on Earth today.
- A study published in the journal Nature Ecology and Evolution reveals that it took around 10 million years for Earth's biodiversity to rebound from the mass extinction that wiped out the dinosaurs.
- Sea-level rise because of climate change threatens 233 federally protected animal and plant species in 23 coastal states across the US, according to a report from the Center for Biological Diversity.
Beyond Bitcoin: Here are some of the new use cases for distributed ledger technology
- This is a preview of the Beyond Bitcoin (2018) report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- To learn more about the trends, use cases and financial institutions investing in DLT technology, click here.
- DLTs are most often associated with cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, but such coverage sidelines the broader use cases of DLTs, even though they stand to make a far bigger impact on the broader the financial services (FS) industry.
- This means DLTs have the potential to streamline financial institutions' (FIs) operations, boost data security, improve customer relationships, and drastically cut costs.
- In the Beyond Bitcoin report, Business Insider Intelligence takes a look at what DLTs are and why they hold so much promise for FS, the sectors in which DLTs are gaining the most traction and why, and the efforts underway to remove the obstacles preventing wider DLT adoption in finance.