How to remove the SIM card from your iPhone
- Whether you're selling your old iPhone, trading it in for a new model, or sending it away for repairs, it's important that you remove the phone's SIM card.
- SIM cards store your phone number, and without the card in place, you cannot make or receive calls.
- In reality, your phone can usually be tracked even without a SIM card in place.
- So when you get a new phone, don't forget to pop your SIM card out of the old one and place it in the new device.
- Removing a SIM card from an old phone is also a good idea even if you won't need it in a new device, as the card will be linked to your old phone number.
- And before you have your phone repaired, spend the 30 seconds to remove your SIM card.
I hate flying in basic economy — but there's an easy hack to get around some of the restrictions on American, Delta, and United flights
- While there's no way to get around the inability to pick your seat — besides paying to upgrade to a regular economy fare — holding any of the regular Delta co-branded credit cards gets you priority boarding on any flight, regardless of whether you use the card or not.
- If you have a United credit card, you'll get priority boarding, and, in effect, be able to bring a regular carry-on bag on board — that's because the rule is enforced by not allowing anyone in the last boarding group, all of whom are on basic economy fares, to bring a carry-on with them.
- In addition to the free checked bag, priority boarding, and ability to bring a carry-on when flying basic economy, the card also offers two complimentary passes to United Club lounges each year.
Having a Delta credit card gets you priority boarding every time you fly the airline — here's what you need to know
- Personal Finance Insider writes about products, strategies, and tips to help you make smart decisions with your money.
- Each of Delta's three main credit cards — the Gold Delta SkyMiles, Platinum Delta SkyMiles, and Delta Reserve cards — offer a few useful travel benefits for cardholders when they fly Delta.
- One of those benefits is priority boarding for the cardholder and any travel companions on the same reservation.
- If you book separately, your travel companions won't have access to priority boarding or free checked bags unless they have their own Delta credit card (or hold elite Medallion status).
- Delta's premium card, the Delta Reserve, also offers 75,000 miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles, although you'll need to spend $5,000 in the first three months.
- We occasionally highlight financial products and services that can help you make smarter decisions with your money.
Dealmaster: Get a 256GB Samsung microSD card for $40
- Courtesy of our friends at TechBargains, we have another round of deals to share.
- Today's list is highlighted by a deal on the 256GB variant of Samsung's EVO Select microSD card.
- We've highlighted this card a few times in the past, so we won't dwell on the specifics here.
- In short, while it's not the absolute fastest of its kind and it's not as good for security cams as a dedicated high-endurance card, it should still be plenty powerful enough to boost the storage space of a Nintendo Switch, smartphone, or GoPro. It also comes with a 10-year warranty.
- More importantly, it's good value for a reliable card with this much storage at this price.
- If you don't need more storage, though, we also have deals on HDMI cables, Kingdom Hearts III, PlayStation Plus subscriptions, and much more.
The AmEx Gold Card promises lucrative rewards on all food purchases — we break down whether they're as good as AmEx claims
- While its big brother, the Platinum Card® from American Express, often gets all the hype for premium travel rewards, AmEx recently released the refreshed American Express Gold Card, and it comes with some great new rewards that make this one worth considering.
- The new American Express Gold credit card offers a great rewards program.
- The card offers 4x points per dollar spent at US restaurants, 4x points at US supermarkets (up to $25,000 in purchases per year; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly at airlines or AmEx Travel.
- If you want free travel but don't want to pay the big $550 annual fee for AmEx Platinum, this card is an excellent alternative.
- If you read through this card's benefits and like what it has to offer, you won't go wrong with the new and improved American Express Gold card.
5 reasons the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a powerhouse within the increasingly competitive credit card space
- The Chase Sapphire Preferred is one of the all-around best rewards credit cards available, when taking everything into account — annual fee, sign-up bonus, rewards earning, ways to redeem rewards, travel perks and protections, and more.
- The value of the sign-up bonus depends on how you choose to use those points, but based on subjective valuations by travel website The Points Guy (a Business Insider e-commerce partner), 60,000 points is worth about $1,200.
- While they can be redeemed for $600 of cash or $750 of travel booked through Chase, you can get a significantly higher value when you transfer them to an airline frequent flyer partner — hence The Points Guy's higher valuation.
- There are a few different ways to use your Chase points— and tricks to get the most value— but no matter how you plan to redeem them, there's no doubt that the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card offers a great value.
The Capital One Venture card comes with valuable travel benefits — we break down whether they are worth a $95 annual fee
- The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is a competitive travel rewards credit card that offers 2x miles per dollar on every purchase and 10x points per dollar spent on hotels when you book and pay through Hotels.com/Venture.
- While the card does carry a $95 annual fee (waived the first year), it offers plenty of value, useful benefits, and might be a great fit for your purchase and travel needs.
- The Capital One Venture card offers 2x miles per dollar spent on all purchases, with a bonus rate of 10x miles per dollar at Hotels.com.
- Capital One miles are worth a flat 1 cent each when redeemed against travel purchases, which gives this card an equivalent cash-back rate of 2%.
- The Capital One Venture is a very good travel rewards card that offers plenty of value and opportunities to earn miles toward free travel with easy redemption options.
GDC quick takes: Versus Evil founder Steve Escalante
- My favorite part of being the managing editor of GamesBeat is talking to people such as Steve Escalante.
- He’s the founder of Versus Evil, an indie game publisher known for working with studios that make excellent and good-looking role-playing and strategy games.
- I checked out a number of Versus Evil games at this week’s Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
- I’ve watched the publisher since it started working with Stoic, the studio behind one of my favorite strategy game franchises of the past decade: The Banner Saga.
- Versus Evil has also worked on Pillars of Eternity II, my favorite role-playing game of 2018.
- I’ve been asking everyone I interview the same question: What’s the biggest issue the game industry faces.
- Here’s how Escalante fielded it.
- We’ll be posting interviews, impressions, and more this week and next week.
How and why the payments industry will experience massive growth over the next five years
- With such impending immense growth, it's crucial for any business that even touches the payments industry to understand what's ahead.
- The rise in global card and terminal penetration, coupled with increasing digital payments volume, will will be the key drivers in this growth.
- To successfully navigate this changing landscape, individuals and organizations must understand the full extent to which digital transformation will affect the payments industry, the key drivers of this growth, and how it all relates to the work they do every day.
- The Payments Forecast Book 2018 from Business Insider Intelligence is a detailed four-part slide deck outlining the most important trends impacting the payments ecosystem around the world — and the key drivers propelling each segment forward.
- Representing thousands of hours of exhaustive research, our multipart forecast books are considered must-reads by thousands of highly successful business professionals.
A look inside an exclusive AmEx cardmember event, where attendees enjoy luxury hotel accommodations and meals prepared by award-winning chefs
- Attendees had the chance to stay at an AmEx Fine Hotels and Resorts property — the Condado Vanderbilt — take self-guided tours of small businesses in the historic Old San Juan shopping district, enjoy dinner hosted by chefs who are part of AmEx's Global Dining Collection, and, of course, see the show.
- There were a few extra seats available on the plane in each direction — some card members I spoke with had decided to extend their trips before or after the event, and arranged their own alternate travel — and AmEx invited several members of the media, myself included, along to cover the show's opening weekend.
- The AmEx travel package not only offered early access to prime seats for the show, but also featured incomparable, impossible-to-recreate events like the meet and greet with Lin-Manuel Miranda and the rest of the cast, an intimate cocktail and dining reception with some of Puerto Rico's top chefs, and a unique business-class flight experience.