I roped my parents into pursuing travel rewards — here's why more baby boomers should do the same
- If you have good credit and a debt-free lifestyle, a solid travel rewards strategy can help you travel further from home and more luxuriously than you could otherwise afford.
- For older generations living on a fixed budget, travel rewards can offer outsized value and make it possible to book trips that were only a pipe dream years before.
- My husband and I earn approximately 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per month with our Ink Business Preferred Credit Card thanks to our business ventures.
- This brings me to the final reason I convinced my parents to earn their own rewards; I want to go on vacation with them a few times per year without forking over the entire cost of international travel for six.
Dolphins pull off stunning upset over Patriots with last-second hook-and-ladder play
- The Miami Dolphins pulled off a miracle, 34-33 win over the New England Patriots on Sunday with a stunning, last-second play.
- After the Patriots failed to score a touchdown on a final fourth quarter drive, instead settling for a field goal, the Dolphins got the ball back trailing 33-28 with seven seconds to play.
- Stills then lateral-ed the ball to DeVante Parker, who lateral-ed to Kenyan Drake.
- The announcers even seemed resigned to the Dolphins losing, when all of the sudden Drake found some running room.
- Bill Belichick's Hail Mary defense came back to bite him, as Rob Gronkowski was playing deep to try to break up any deep passes.
- As Drake found room to run, Gronkowski mis-played the angle and couldn't catch Drake.
- The loss prevented the Patriots from clinching the AFC East for the tenth straight year and continued a bizarre pattern in which the team has struggled in Miami.
The Black Mirror card game isn’t soul-crushing enough to reflect the show
- Interactive fans now have a new way to vicariously experience Black Mirror, though: Asmodee Games has just released Nosedive, an officially licensed board / card / app game inspired by a season 4 Black Mirror episode.
- Nosedive comes with a free smartphone app (available for Android or Apple) that’s integral to the game: it keeps track of players, sets their starting Social Scores, and enables the second phase.
- And that’s pretty much the game: the app keeps track of who likes your experiences and recalculates everyone’s social scores accordingly, and then a new round begins.
- The twist is that you can’t get points for Lifestyle cards with a star rating above your social score — as with the episode “Nosedive,” a sad sack walking around with a mere 2.5-star score isn’t deemed worthy of three-star Lifestyle experiences like “An Employee of the Month” reserved parking spot.
What happens when you show up at Costco without a membership card, according to employees
- It's an aggravating scenario for any Costco member — arriving at the warehouse only to find that you've forgotten your membership card.
- Typically, Costco locations have an employee or two situated at the store's entrance, to ensure that only members gain access to the warehouse.
- Business Insider asked seven Costco employees about how they're instructed to handle members — or people who claim to be members — who show up sans card.
- But what happens if a visitor says they've forgotten their card — or even outright refuses to show their membership card — at the door?
- So if the policy apparently varies across warehouses, why does Costco even bother asking people to show their membership cards at the door?
- But if you are a legitimate Costco member who shows up without your card, you do have one method of recourse.
Eight great board games we played at PAX Unplugged
- In short, it's very possible to think you're winning the game, only to find that an opponent has lengthened your most lucrative street, doubled its score, shortened another street, and then completed the game, leaving your massive tower on the incomplete street to cost you huge points.
- The game appears to hum along nicely when the clue-giver is regularly tossing out new cards to guide guessing; it stalls, though, when a clue-giver sits for thirty seconds, riffling through a deck in search of something new, or when all relevant words are played and no one seems close to getting the answer.
- In Roll Player, which first appeared in 2016, players create a character for use in a role-playing game, complete with an alignment, a back story, and stats like Charisma and Strength.
11 lucrative credit card deals you can get when opening a new card in December — including a 200,000-mile bonus
- Between the ability to transfer miles to airlines, and the limited-time sign-up bonus, this is one of the best cards available right now.
- Click here to learn more about the Capital One Venture from Insider Picks' partner: The Points Guy. Sign-up bonus: Up to 65,000 United miles (40,000 after spending $2,000 in the first three months, and an additional 25,000 miles after spending a total of $10,000 in the first six months).
- New card members — those who haven't previously had the Premier Rewards Gold — can earn a welcome bonus of 25,000 points when they spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Click here to learn more about the AmEx Gold Card from Insider Picks' partner: The Points Guy. Sign-up bonus: 70,000 miles (after spending $5,000 in the first 90 days), for a limited time only.
Walmart, Target, and other major retailers are pushing the Fed for real-time payments
- But in other markets, where standardized faster payments offerings do exist, alternatives have begun to proliferate: In the UK, for example, Mastercard-owned Vocalink's Pay By Bank app is beginning to gain traction and recently announced an expansion of services that might make it available to more users.
- But pressuring the government to create a noncard option that would bypass interchange and threaten card network and issuer sources of volume and revenue — in China, direct debit apps are eating into bank business — on top of these other challenges could only worsen these tensions or bring them to a head in the year ahead.
- In The Consumer Cards Report, Business Insider Intelligence sizes the US consumer credit card market, explains why return on assets (ROA) is on the decline, highlights the importance of rewards in attracting customers, and lays out three next-generation rewards strategies that are popular among certain demographics, which issuers can implement to return their card business to profitability.
Capital One has limited-time sign-up bonus offers for 3 of its credit cards — get up to 200,000 miles
- Starting next month, cardholders will have the option of transferring their cards' miles to a number of airline frequent flyer partners, bringing Capital One miles in line with the top credit cards reward programs, like Chase's Ultimate Rewards and AmEx's Membership Rewards.
- You can also use the bonus simply for $750 worth of travel purchases (or $850 when you factor in the spending), although you can potentially get a better offer by transferring miles to an airline partner.
- The Spark Cash for Business is offering a similar limited-time bonus, although you'll get cash back rather than miles, so you can't transfer them to airline partners.
- When you're working to earn credit card rewards, it's important to practice financial discipline, like paying your balances off in full each month, making payments on time, and not spending more than you can afford to pay back.
Magic: The Gathering announces Magic Esports: new Pro League and Mythic Championships
- Wizards of the Coast announced Magic Esports, which is both an expansion and reorganization of the current pro Magic: The Gathering scene, at tonight’s The Game Awards show in Los Angeles.
- This shuffles a new challenger is shuffling in some magic into the esports arena, one that market research firm Newzoo projects could be worth nearly $140 billion by the end of the year.
- Magic Esports integrates paper Magic tournaments with Arena, Wizards’ new digital collectible card game.
- Blizzard Entertainment’s World of Warcraft-based game dominates the digital card circuit, but Magic has had a rich and storied pro scene, and it’s been streaming these events for years.
- It should make a splash when it hits an esports scene that market research firm Newzoo estimates should bring in $900 million this year.
- These blend paper Magic with Arena, and they will feature Magic Pro League players taking on challengers from the community.
United Airlines is running a limited-time offer on the Explorer Card — here's where to fly with its 65,000-mile sign-up bonus
- Those include a free first checked bag when you buy your ticket with the card, a credit worth up to $100 on TSA PreCheck or Global Entry every four years, two annual United lounge passes, priority boarding, and 25% back on in-flight purchases.
- Let's take a look at some of the best flights you can get on United with that 75,000 miles you would have from the Explorer card after taking into account the sign-up bonus and first $10,000 in spending.
- While a North America business class experience doesn't offer the same luxury as an overseas trip, it could be the perfect upgrade to start a vacation on the Mexican Riviera or on the way to explore Mexico City.
- An economy flight from North America to Brazil is 30,000 miles each way when you fly on coach and book Saver awards.