Get your early bird pass to Disrupt 2020 — only 4 days left
- You have just four days left to access the complete Disrupt 2020 experience for best possible price.
- Get it in gear and buy the Disrupt pass of your choice before the deadline expires August 7 at 11:59 p.m.
- And plenty of things won’t change — like the quality and profusion of world-class speakers, panel discussions, interviews and Q&A sessions.
- Kerry Washington is perhaps best known for her work in Hollywood, but she’s been making a name for herself in tech over the last few years.
- There’s tons more to Disrupt 2020 — Startup Battlefield, Digital Startup Alley and world-class networking with CrunchMatch, our AI-powered platform to help you quickly find and connect with the people who can help take your business to the next level.
- Buy your pass before the early bird deal expires on August 7 at 11:59 p.m.
Syntax changes from C++11 to C++20
- In C++14 the “high level” syntax hasn’t changed much, but the capture clause allows you perform “capture with initialiser”, and the parameter list can take auto arguments (it means generic lambdas).
- Additionally, the return type of a lambda expression follows the rules of a regular function return type deduction (auto), so in short, compilers are smarter now.
- And another significant change is a generic lambda which supports auto as an argument.
- Since C++17 you can now use constexpr as an additional specifier for the lambda.
- Another thing to have in mind is that in C++17 the dynamic exception specification is removed so in practice you can only use noexcept to mark functions and lambdas.
- Since C++20 you can now use consteval as an additional specifier for the lambda, and what’s more, you can specify a template tail!
How interplanetary migration could impact human evolution
- The future of human evolution in space will be driven by challenges both similar — and different — to those that have guided our development for countless generations.
- Although we´re very similar, our species evolved with a great variety of characteristics, fundamental for us to adapt to different environments.
- Considering that the environment will be totally different from what we´re used to, it’s expected that we will evolve different traits that make us more adapted to that new life.
- During space travel, astronauts experience changes in their circulatory system, as well as their eyes, brain, microbiome, and even in the expression of some genes and in our telomeres (the protective cap of our genetic material).
- Ethical issues also come into play — We would be selecting a population with specific characteristics to constitute a new species.
Making Advanced GUI Applications with Godot
- So I can e.g. use the arrow keys to move to a container or panel I wish to add a GUI component to.
- Then I can hit Cmd+A (on Mac) to open up a dialog to select a GUI component.
- In Godot accidentally selecting a child component is not a problem.
- Godot uses a dynamic language with Python syntax called GDScript which was specifically tailored to integrate with the editor.
- Think about it if somebody wants to look at some GUI you are working on, you can send them the Godot project files and they are a 31 MB download away from looking at it.
- Sure you can copy paste a collection of GUI components in Qt Creator, but if you decide you want to make a modification you are screwed.
- In Godot in contrast you can use a collection of GUI components you made as a template.
The Big Tech hearings won’t lead to real change. That’s okay.
- But you should also go into this with your expectations set: It’s quite likely that the House Judiciary Antitrust Subcommittee’s hearing on Wednesday, featuring Alphabet CEO Sundar Pichai, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, Apple CEO Tim Cook, and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, will generate a viral soundbite or two.
- Some of it will be in closed-door meetings between regulators and lobbyists from the tech companies; some may be in legal proceedings, like an expected antitrust suit in the works against Alphabet, led by state attorneys general.
- A year after that hearing, the US government did actually do something about Facebook — it got the company to agree to a record-breaking $5 billion settlement and layered on oversight that’s supposed to (in theory) make the company less likely to trample its users’ privacy rights.
Pricing and Marketing Analytics — Key to Organization growth engine
- You may have even noticed that companies like Uber, Careem charge higher prices during peak time, these prices are modeled according to the algorithm which manages supply and demand.
- Retail companies like Walmart achieved their success due to their Everyday low Pricing Strategy that offers low prices to its customer; this helped them to increase their sales and customer loyalty.
- Apple still sells expensive phones to the small market and has been able to establish its brand loyalty with its customers while Samsung sells high volume to a broader customer base.
- Now that we have seen different pricing strategies including the traditional ones, let us now turn our attention towards dynamic or demand-based pricing methods.
- The point here is to explain how elasticity and the way quantity demand changes according to price affects our overall revenue and profit.
U.S. FAA proposes requiring key Boeing 737 MAX design changes
- WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Aviation Administration said on Monday it is proposing requiring four key Boeing 737 MAX design changes to address safety issues seen in two crashes that killed 346 people and led to the plane’s grounding in March 2019.
- The FAA said in a separate 96-page report released on Monday that it “has preliminarily determined that Boeing’s proposed changes to the 737 MAX design, flightcrew procedures and maintenance procedures effectively mitigate the airplane-related safety issues” in the two fatal crashes.
- The changes are designed to prevent the erroneous activation of a key system known as MCAS tied to both crashes, to alert pilots if two AOA sensors are receiving conflicting data and to ensure flightcrew can recognize and respond to erroneous stabilizer movement.
- The FAA said the changes minimize “dependence on pilot action and the effect of any potential single failure” and added that design changes address seven safety issues, including several involving MCAS.
British Vogue's editor-in-chief Edward Enninful calls for more education after racial profiling incident
- Editor's Note: CNN's Chief International Anchor Christiane Amanpour interviewed Edward Enninful in London on Monday, August 3.
- London (CNN) - Edward Enninful hit headlines when he became editor-in-chief of British Vogue more than two years ago, making him the first Black person at the helm of the magazine.
- Born in Ghana and raised in multicultural west London, 48-year-old Eneninful is one of a few people of color in the fashion press to hold the role of editor-in-chief (Lindsay Peoples Wagner helms Teen Vogue).
- But Enninful, who invited Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, to be the guest editor of last year's September issue, says that diversity has been his focus from the start.
- For this September issue, the magazine's theme is "Activism Now" and includes cover stars Marcus Rashford, a footballer and campaigner against child poverty; and Adwoa Aboah, a model and activist; as well as 40 other advocates for social causes.
UFCS for C++ in Clang
- However, static extension methods come into their own when viewed as generic approaches to extending already existing classes that cannot be modified.
- Whilst not strictly the “most pure” decision, I think that it’s sensible to allow users to specify which functions they intend to be used in overload resolution.
- It also allows UFCS to be backward compatible with existing code, means that I think this is the most sensible approach to take.
- It should be noted that the choice of OR2 is in contrast with C#’s extension methods, where, in the case of ambiguity between a UFCS candidate and a member function, the member function is always chosen (i.e., C# uses OR2+).
- Instead, I think creating a new function declaration type derived from FunctionDecl is probably a better approach.
Say hello to SHIFT, our new publication about the future of mobility tech
- New mobility tech could help us reduce our environmental impact, improve road and city safety, and make how we get around in our daily lives more sustainable.
- To help us navigate this changing landscape, we’re proudly launching SHIFT, an online magazine dedicated to going “under the hood” on the fast-changing world of mobility tech.
- We want to shine a light on the world of mobility tech to help you understand the inner workings of gig economy transport, ebikes, escooters, self-driving and autonomous cars, and how old-school automakers are evolving to offer the cars of tomorrow.
- We’re incredibly excited to be working with a company that is going out on a limb to do things differently, and is intent on taking the steps to make better cars for a better future.
- If you’re into electric vehicles and the future of mobility, and want to be part of the conversation, be sure to follow SHIFT and get involved.