Beijing's military adventurism in the Himalayas is risky. The world is big enough for the rise of India and China
- While face-offs get resolved locally, those related to the building of infrastructure, such as roads and defence fortifications, invariably take longer and require a combination of military and diplomatic initiatives.
- Facing myriad internal and external challenges during the coronavirus pandemic, China can ill-afford any risky adventurism in the Himalayas.
- Moreover, barring Pakistan, which is its all-weather strategic partner in the region, Beijing's assertive behavior coupled with its alleged pandemic-related role has generated anti-China sentiment in Asian countries it assiduously befriended as part of its containment strategy against India.
- The possibility of Beijing using the face-offs for strategic messaging to India cannot be ruled out.
- Although a conflict in the near future is a remote possibility, India must continue in earnest to develop its military capability to deter aggression and, should that fail, fight to win wars for the country.
This Insane Stock Market Doesn't Care About a US-China Trade War
- The U.S. government will impose new restrictions on Chinese media outlets and suspend inbound Chinese airlines’ access, as tensions between the U.S. and China intensify.
- Investors seemingly expected a crackdown on Chinese state-run news agencies after China ousted American journalists with visa restrictions.
- The U.S. and China failed to see a resolution, eventually leading to the threat of a ban on Chinese airlines.
- Second, the clampdown on Chinese news networks and airlines by the U.S. does not directly affect the stock market.
- When U.S.-China relations are at a historical low point and the stock market prices it in, minor events are unlikely to affect equities.
- The momentum of the U.S. stock market is so strong that it is forgetting that geopolitical risks can become a real threat to American equities in the coming months.
Trump's favorite trade-war gauge sank in April as exports plummeted a record amount - Business Insider
- US trade slumped to decade lows in April as the coronavirus disrupted manufacturing efforts and stifled global travel.
- The nation's goods and services deficit widened to $49.4 billion over the month from $42.3 billion, the Commerce Department announced Thursday.
- The shortfall now sits at its highest level since August 2019, and rising tensions between the US and China threaten to revive retaliatory trade duties after months of relative peace.
- Yet the coronavirus' toll on global economic activity has erased nearly all progress made last year, and new strains between the two nations could plunge the US into another trade conflict.
- Earlier in the week, Chinese government officials ordered firms to halt some imports of US agricultural goods.
- The sudden move threatens a key element of the nations' trade deal after China initially said it would adhere to purchase goals throughout the coronavirus pandemic.
Indian defense minister says there have been 'significant' Chinese troop movements amid border tensions
- New Dehli (CNN) - Chinese troops have moved into a tense, disputed section of the Himalayan border shared by China and India, according to a high-ranking Delhi official.
- Speaking to CNN-affiliate News18, Indian Defense Minister Rajnath Singh said Tuesday a "significant number" of Chinese troops had moved to the Line of Actual Control (LAC) between the two countries.
- Former Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said on her official Twitter account that Delhi and Beijing couldn't even agree on the length of the border between the two countries.
- The last time border tensions ran high was in 2017 when troops massed in and around the disputed Doklam plateau, a thin strip of land at the tri-junction between India, China and Bhutan.
- On June 1, Eliot Engel, chairman of the US House Committee on Foreign Affairs, said that he was "extremely concerned" by Chinese troop movements along the line of actual control.
Riot police move in as Hong Kongers prepare to defy Tiananmen ban
- Shanghai | Thousands of Hong Kong citizens are expected to defy a police ban on commemorating the anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown with candlelight vigils planned across the city and an online campaign to honour the students who died in Beijing 31 years ago.
- China's most sensitive political anniversary on Thursday was the latest focal point for rising tensions between millions of Hong Kong citizens and Beijing, which last month passed new national security laws designed to quash anti-government protests in the city.
- In mainland China, the bloody crackdown by Chinese troops on students in Beijing 31 years ago has been erased from the country's history books, and references to June 4 deleted by censors from social media.
Hong Kong marks Tiananmen massacre for what many fear will be the last time
- Every year since then, Lee has helped organize a candlelit rally in Hong Kong to mark the anniversary, the only mass memorial held on Chinese soil and a key emblem of the semi-autonomous city's political freedoms.
- In the years after the crackdown, pressure grew on the British to do more to protect Hong Kong under imminent Chinese rule, and in 1994 then Governor Chris Patten made elections to the city's parliament fully democratic for the first time -- a move that was not approved by London and met with outrage in Beijing.
- Following China's announcement, the UK moved to expand some rights for holders of British National (Overseas) passports, of which there are some 300,000 in Hong Kong and up to 3 million citizens born in the city prior to 1997 eligible to apply.
US to block Chinese airlines from flying into the country
- The Transportation Department restrictions will take effect June 16 but could be enacted earlier if President Donald Trump decides to do so.
- It says the Chinese government is violating an agreement between the two countries for international travel by preventing United Airlines and Delta Air Lines from resuming the trans-oceanic flights.
- Those airlines had asked to resume service on June 1.
- United, Delta, and American suspended service to China due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- The US government also instituted travel restrictions to reduce the spread of the coronavirus.
- The Transportation Department order said "Chinese aviation authorities have failed to permit US air carriers to" operate the routes they previously flew.
Pompeo hits China over Tiananmen as US faces civil unrest
- Washington |US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday (Wednesday AEST) marked this week's anniversary of China's deadly 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square - a day after federal forces used tear gas to clear peaceful protesters from a park in front of the White House.
- Mr Pompeo tweeted criticism of China and Hong Kong for barring a vigil to mark the anniversary before he met privately with a group of Tiananmen Square survivors at the State Department.
- As Pompeo met with the Tiananmen survivors, three State Department officials were playing down the impact of Trump's decision last week to ban Chinese graduate students and researchers with links to the People's Liberation Army or other security services from the United States.
Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national security fears
- Hong Kong (CNN) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised to provide a path to British citizenship for potentially millions of Hong Kongers, as China prepares to impose a draconian new national security law on the city.
- The Sino-British Joint Declaration took this even further, creating for those born in British Hong Kong the new category of British National (Overseas), which did not confer the right of abode and effectively made them citizens in name only, while providing limited benefits such as easier travel to the UK and other parts of the world.
- Speaking to CNN before Johnson's announcement this week, Samantha Chan, a 27-year-old Hong Konger, said she saw her BNO passport more as a backup travel document, in case the city one day faces the same visa restrictions as residents of the Chinese mainland.
Google pulls 'Remove China Apps' from Play Store
- Remove China Apps, an app that gained popularity in India in recent weeks and did exactly what its name suggests, has been pulled from the Play Store.
- The top trending app in India, which was downloaded more than 5 million times since late May and enabled users to detect and easily delete apps developed by Chinese firms, was pulled from Android’s marquee app store for violating Google Play Store’s Deceptive Behaviour Policy, TechCrunch has learned.
- The app, developed by Indian firm OneTouch AppLabs, gained popularity in India in part because of a growing anti-China sentiment among many citizens as tension between the world’s two most populous nations has escalated in recent days over a Himalayan border dispute.
- TikTok, which weeks ago was grappling with content moderation efforts in India, sparked a new debate over the weekend after a popular creator claimed that a video she posted on TikTok was pulled by the Chinese firm.