Lyft hit with another horrifying sexual assault lawsuit
- A woman who says she was raped by her Lyft driver in 2017 is suing the ride-hailing company in California for failure to keep its passengers safe.
- It is the latest case about safety in the ride-hailing industry, and the latest charge against Lyft, which was sued by 14 women earlier this month alleging rape complaints against drivers.
- Uber was sued earlier this year by an anonymous woman from Washington, DC who claims she was sexually assaulted by her driver.
- And on September 4th, 14 women sued Lyft for allegedly mishandling their sexual assault, sexual misconduct, and rape complaints against drivers.
- Like Turkos, the plaintiffs accused Lyft of “stone-walling” law enforcement in rape cases, failing to adequately screen potential drivers, and obscuring the true extent of the “sexual predator crisis” on the platform.
Trump administration sends team to Los Angeles for 'fact finding' on homelessness
- The move comes in the midst of Trump's long-standing rocky relationship with California, with the President clashing with the Golden State over not only homelessness but also his spot on the California 2020 ballot and his false claims about state voter fraud.
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti's staff took Trump administration officials on a tour Tuesday "to learn more about the city's response to the homelessness crisis," the mayor's office said in a statement.
- Garcetti's staff showed the officials "the Unified Homelessness Response Center, the redevelopment of Jordan Downs public housing complex, prefabricated Flyaway Homes, and the St. Andrews Place A Bridge Home shelter recently opened in South L.A.," according to the statement.
- Deputy press secretary Judd Deere said in a statement on Tuesday that Trump has directed his team to expand on homelessness policy.
- Trump has also made baseless claims about his professed anti-homelessness initiatives in Washington, comparing the city's situation to that of California cities.
Everything we know about the drone attacks on 2 Saudi Aramco oil facilities
- Yemen's Houthi "Ansar Allah" forces have claimed responsibility for two coordinated unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV) attacks on Saudi Arabian oil facilities near the cities of Abqaiq and Khurais in Saudi Arabia, according to reports published on Saturday, September 14, 2019 by the Houthi-run Al-Masirah news agency and other international outlets.
- A report that surfaced on the ISW News Analysis Group only hours after Saturday's attacks claimed that a new "Quds-1" jet-powered cruise missile was used in the two strikes on Saudi refineries.
- Ansar Allah also displayed two sizes of Sammad unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that it has claimed to have used to attack targets in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) deep in Saudi Arabia.
- Regardless of what specific cruise missile or UCAV the Yemeni Houthis used in Saturday's attacks on Saudi refineries, the effectiveness of the strikes signals a new chapter in this conflict that now has truly global ramifications.
PG&E settles with insurance companies for $11 billion in California wildfires, utility says
- A statement from the company Friday said the settlement covers 85% of the claims.
- In June, the utility paid $1 billion in damages to local governments for blazes linked to its power lines, poles and other equipment.
- Most of the funds are related to last year's Camp Fire in Northern California that killed 85 people and destroyed thousands of homes.
- The payments are subject to bankruptcy court confirmation since the utility giant filed for bankruptcy protection in January after coming under pressure from billions of dollars in claims tied to the wildfires.
- The company has said it's "probable" its equipment started the 2018 Camp Fire, California's deadliest and most destructive, when a power line touched nearby trees.
- By April, it had cited at least $7 billion in claims from that wildfire.
- In May, Cal Fire released a final determination that PG&E power lines did cause the Camp Fire.