The Debatable Land: The Lost World Between Scotland and England
- Robb claims a trifle disingenuously (‘this book, which I had never expected to write’) that the idea of describing his new adopted home only came to him slowly, although for a historian such a hinterland was clearly a gift.
- A previous book by Graham Robb was about the Celts, and he remains a strong revisionist supporter of their true worth.
- Most inhabitants of the Borders, he claims, would only go on one raid in their whole lives as some sort of act of initiation — ‘that glorious hectic day when grandfather earned the right to be called a man by burning down a Tynedale barn or making off with a Cheviot farmer’s sheep’.
- You must be logged in as a subscriber to read comments by other Spectator readers and leave your own.
- Simply visit the My Account page, enter your subscriber number in the relevant field and click 'submit changes'.
Malcolm Turnbull, Barnaby Joyce meet face-to-face to resolve crisis
- Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has met with his deputy Barnaby Joyce in Sydney for talks about the Coalition leadership crisis threatening to spiral out of control.
- The pair met at the Commonwealth Parliament Offices for over an hour on Saturday, where the two leaders discussed comments the prime minister made about Mr Joyce's affair with a former staffer.
- It is understood Mr Joyce on Saturday indicated his concern was more about the forcefulness of Mr Turnbull's comments, and less about their substance.
- Former Prime Minister Tony Abbott also weighed into the debate on Saturday, saying the Leader of the Liberals should not publicly comment on the leadership of the Nationals.
In 2017, VR Headset Shipments for Most Top Brands Went Down
- Personally I expected VR headset sales to grow slightly in 2017, so I'm pretty surprised to see them go down for 3 of 5 leading rigs.
- As VR became a known entity, headset manufacturers relied on a mix of price cuts and compelling content to drive sales in 2017.
- I personally believe that there is more to be gained by moving away from what I call the "Id satisfier" and looking for uses in other, must-have-to-meet-serious-need categories: Healthcare, education, simulator-training - these are the points of discovery, and of sustainability of the category - companies investing in these will find the room to make mistakes, get real feedback and make better products that will survive changing tastes and fancies.
- As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below.
Radio host fired for sexual comments about Olympian Chloe Kim
- New York (CNNMoney) - A radio host has been fired for sexually inappropriate comments he made about Olympic gold medalist Chloe Kim. The 17-year-old snowboarder made headlines for winning gold in the women's snowboard half-pipe competition Monday night.
- While Connor made the comments on a Barstool Sports show, he was fired on Wednesday by KNBR, a radio station in San Francisco where he also worked as a radio host.
- Neither Barstool sports nor Connor responded to requests for comment from CNNMoney.
- People on social media quickly took issue with the nature of his comments, and the next day the show's host, Braden, addressed the incident and gave Connor a stern warning while they were on-air together.
- Connor then addressed the comments and apologized to Kim, Kim's father, his own "lady," Barstool management, his male co-hosts and the show's female intern and the Bay Area.
Coinbase Multiple Charges
- We are actively investigating some reports from our customers about unexpected credit or debit card charges appearing on their statements from previous Coinbase purchases.
- You spent 100 dollars, double charged so went 100 into your overdraft, and had 44 in penalties, and wait you had 100 dollars in your account and you thought buying Bitcoin was a good idea??
- If you had cash to do it and didn't go into overdraft, and then a company bankrupts you by making charges to your account you did not authorize, that they do not know HOW they made, and you are not given any services, that's their fucking problem.
- When I've made Coinbase purchases myself, ive had to ask the bank to allow transactions from Great Britain for the day.
- I agree, but you'd have to write a script to re-use an old authorization number and tag the transaction as force - post.