PS4 Spider-Man Drama is Just the Beginning for Sony's AAA 'Exclusives'
- Reputable gaming industry insider Imran Khan says Sony is lining-up some third-party PlayStation exclusivity deals that are sure to turn more than few heads.
- I am interested to see what this conversation is going to be in a couple of months, because there are games that are widely accepted as multi-platform that Sony is locking up for a little while.
- In the context of the controversy spawned by PlayStation players are landing exclusive access to Spider-Man in Marvel’s Avengers, it’s interesting news.
- If the way one platform exclusive character riled up the gaming community stands as any measure of what to expect, Sony is primed to weather yet another wave of criticism.
Square Enix’s Avengers game is getting a PlayStation-exclusive Spider-Man character, and that sucks
- Square Enix’s Avengers game will arrive this fall, and it’ll bring back console-exclusive content in a big way: the company announced that PlayStation players will get exclusive access to a playable Spider-Man character sometime in 2021.
- But the fact is that PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 owners will be able to get access to a major piece of content for the upcoming game that players on Xbox, PC, or Stadia won’t.
- Platform-exclusive content in third-party releases has been a frustrating aspect of the games industry for years, with both Sony and Microsoft shelling out for exclusive levels or early access in games like Call of Duty, Destiny 2, or Control.
- Marvel’s Avengers is set to launch with six playable characters — Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Black Widow, Hulk, and Ms. Marvel — with the promise of additional characters (like the recently announced Hawkeye) to be added to the game in the future for free.
Hedge-Fund Launches Pick Up Despite Covid-19 Pandemic
- Raising money for a new hedge fund long was contingent on a host of in-person meetings.
- But a slate of managers are launching sizable startup funds despite complications wrought by the new coronavirus.
- Hedge-fund manager Gaurav Kapadia has raised one of the biggest, with more than $1 billion in committed capital for his new firm, XN LP, according to people familiar with the firm.
- XN invests in stock markets as well as in private companies and is up 7.4% after fees since its July 1 start, according to a person familiar with...
Trump gives Microsoft 45 days to clinch TikTok deal
- NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump only agreed to allow Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) to negotiate the acquisition of popular short-video app TikTok if it could secure a deal in 45 days, three people familiar with the matter said on Sunday.
- Trump said on Friday he was planning to ban TikTok amid concerns that its Chinese ownership represents a national security risk because of the personal data it handles.
- But following a discussion between Trump and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, the Redwood, Washington-based company said in a statement on Sunday that it would continue negotiations to acquire TikTok from ByteDance, and that it aimed to reach a deal by Sept.
- This is a deadline that was put to ByteDance and Microsoft by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which scrutinizes deals for potential national security risks, according to the sources.
PS4 Wins Marvel Avengers Stakes Thanks to a Huge Spidey-Surprise
- Marvel’s Avengers, the upcoming superhero tie-in from Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix, with feature Spider-Man as an exclusive character for PlayStation platforms.
- As one of the most popular superheroes in the world, this is a massive get for Sony, and will likely shift a significant amount of players over to their platform.
- Spider-Man is synonymous with gamers with the PlayStation platform, thanks to the enormous success of Insomniac’s Marvel Spider-Man title.
- However, note that Square Enix’s Avengers title has aligned itself with PlayStation since the beginning.
- We know Avengers will see a significant Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 upgrade, though the studio only really talks about the PS5 changes.
- Gamers who upgrade to the PlayStation 5 will enjoy more Spider-Man goodness with the Miles Morales standalone expansion, too.