The Top Technology Trends and Their Impact on Data Science, Machine Learning and AI
- Not only enormous numbers of data scientists and engineers are urgently needed across the various industries, but product designers, behavioral economics experts, strategy people, lawyers, consumer coaches, and so on.
- There will not anymore be “a customer analytics data scientist,” “a user experience designer,” “a business person,” or “a machine learning engineer.” The areas amalgamate, and multidisciplinary teams become the new standard.
- Data scientists and machine learning experts that can bridge the complex technical methods with the business value to deliver the experience are in demand, and it will accelerate your career.
- The impact is that the whole data science work is moving entirely into distributed cloud solutions, but the execution needs sophisticated machine learning algorithms.
- My opinion on the impact: Data scientists will mainly be users of such infrastructure, but that allows them to work in an effective collaborative team independent of the physical location.
We're hiring for Senior Product Designer at The Muse
- ResponsibilitiesWorking closely with your squad’s dedicated Senior Product Manager, Tech Lead, engineers, and stakeholders, you’ll design and maintain a suite of products and features that drive both user delight and business value.Ownership: You will own the company’s Candidate-facing designs, improving upon existing products and conceiving new ones.Design Process: You’ll refine our methodology for conceiving, executing, releasing, and maintaining The Muse user experience.UX Strategy: You’ll own your squad’s product-design roadmap and other strategic artifacts, such as customer journey maps, user flows, and personas.Collaboration: You will gather requirements and input from members of your team as well as from other internal stakeholders, particularly Content and Marketing.Design System: To ensure design and dev process efficiency, you will create, organize, and maintain patterns in a design system.User Research: You’ll develop a sustainable qualitative research plan that garners ongoing insights from our Millennial and Gen-Z job-seekers; you’ll leverage our robust suite of quantitative data to make informed design decisions.Mentorship: You’ll hone our organization’s design acumen by coaching other designers, stakeholders, and squad members on design process, philosophy, and execution.Execution: You’ll deliver to market design that elevates The Muse brand and bring career development to the next level.
The US Government Needs to Invest in Digital Design
- Imagine if, when the president addressed the nation in those early, frightening days of March 2020, he had announced the launch of a user-friendly digital hub for citizens to access critical government services related to Covid-19.
- That’s why the country needs a new federal officer in charge of the American citizen’s digital experience—a chief experience officer of the United States.
- A CXO can build on the work of the 21st Century Integrated Digital Experience Act (IDEA), a new law requiring all federal agencies to modernize their websites to make them mobile-friendly, to digitize forms, and allow for electronic signatures.
- In a time when trust in our government is at its lowest, improving design to ensure that citizens have the best digital interactions—similar to experiences they have in the private sector—couldn’t be more pertinent.
Premium Experiences Now Available for Kid Skills in the US
- ISP for kid skills is supported by new tools powered by Alexa, including APIs to help you create premium kid skills, as well as purchase controls that help account holders manage them.
- Using the Alexa app, parents can enable and disable voice purchasing in kid skills, and can also choose whether they would like to approve each purchase individually.
- By default, when a user is offered premium content in a kid skill and agrees to purchase, the account holder will receive an SMS or email requesting they approve or decline the transaction within 24 hours.
- Account holders who want to allow purchases to be made in kid skills but do not wish to receive these approval requests can disable them in the Alexa app, allowing purchases to be made in kid skills without the request for approval.
Apply for the Alexa Web API for Games Developer Preview
- Customers can interact with the web app using a variety of modes such as voice through the skill, touch on devices with touch screens, and remotes on Fire TVs. Ticket to Ride, Masamune’s Room, Lemonade Stand, and Goal Scorer are game skills that were built using Alexa Web API for Games: Ticket to Ride (UK, US, FR) and Ticket to Ride Europe (UK, US, FR): New companion game for the popular Ticket to Ride board game by Days of Wonder.
- Customers can interact with the web app using a variety of modes such as voice through the skill, touch on devices with touch screens, and remotes on Fire TVs. Alexa Web API for Games will be supported on Echo Show devices and select Fire TVs*.
Blue Origin's upgraded New Shepard vehicle completes its first flight
- Blue Origin has successfully demonstrated its upgraded New Shepard suborbital vehicle for crewed flights.
- The rocket system’s crew capsule separated from its reusable booster two and a half minutes after liftoff before reaching a peak altitude of 107 kilometers (66.5 miles).
- As for the booster, it successfully rotated at 2 to 3 degrees per second, which will give future passengers a 360-degree view of space in the future.
- It’s New Shepard’s 14th mission overall, but it’s the first for both the redesigned crew capsule and its booster.
- The upgraded six—seater crew capsule, called the RSS First Step, comes with new features that’s all about giving the best “astronaut experience” possible.
- According to CNBC, this mission is the first of two “stable configuration” test flights, which means Blue Origin is hoping not to have to make any major changes before its first crewed flight.
Reducing Time-to-Hire and Finding Niche Candidates via Text Mining and NLP
- A conventional exact-match keyword search might look like: “Python”, “SQL”, “analyst”, “engineer” or “toys” But through our search, the candidate is described as: “A data scientist who has with experience with toys, education, or children’s products.” We use descriptions because our search understands concepts and ideas.
Medium acquires social book reading app Glose
- Glose has been building iOS, Android and web apps that let you buy, download and read books on your devices.
- But Glose’s differentiating point is that the social features are intrinsically linked with the reading features — those aren’t two separate platforms.
- The company has partnered with 20,000 publishers so that you can buy ebooks directly from the app.
- While Glose is sticking around for now, Medium also plans to integrate ebooks and audio books to its service.
- Right now, they write a blog post on Medium and link to a third-party site if you want to buy their books.
- The Glose team will remain in Paris, which means that Medium is opening its first office outside of the U.S. Glose will continue to honor its partnerships with authors, publishers, schools and institutions.
Show HN: Open-Source Time Tracker
- An open source time-tracker with a simple interactive user experience, and powerful reporting.
- TimeTagger does one thing, and does it well, in a single-page app that is intuitive to use.
- Hit the report button to get a detailed overview.
- Produce PDF reports to bill clients.
- Export data to a spreadsheet for further processing.
- TimeTagger gives you the same smooth experience on any device, no matter the screen size.
- It can be used off-line, and your data gets automatically synced.
- Notice how there's no cookie banner on this site?
- This site does not track you.
- Like most software today, TimeTagger makes heavy use of existing open source software.
- I pledge to contribute at least 10% of profits from TimeTagger to the open source projects that power it.
- The source code for TimeTagger itself is also open source, available at Github.