How Premium Mediocre Conquered Fashion
- Take a look around, and it won’t be hard for you to spot premium mediocre fashion virtually everywhere — from Uniqlo cashmere (that doesn’t feel like cashmere at all) to Balenciaga baseball hats and Gucci headbands, from logoed Burberry keychains to pretty much anything at the fragrance counter in Bloomingdale’s.
- They have built highly successful businesses by peddling goods in the mid-hundreds-dollar range to the masses, and by marketing them with the oxymoron “affordable luxury.” Of course what they are selling is not luxury, but luxury dust sprinkled on top of mediocrity; but the point is that to many people it doesn’t feel like it.
- Of course it’s only an illusion – all you need to do is stroll on Madison Avenue in New York or through Mayfair in London to feel the difference between real luxury and premium mediocre.
9 signs it's time to end a friendship, according to therapists
- Like a romantic relationship, you may know it's not working out, but when it comes time to breaking up with them, it's easier said than done.
- To Place's point, if you're not sure whether or not to cut someone out of your life, here are 9 signs it's time to end a friendship, according to therapists.
- Along the lines of being able to trust your friend, you want to make sure that they keep private things private, according to Jill Whitney, a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) who writes about relationships and sexuality at KeepTheTalkGoing.com.
- "But when you make it clear that you don't want a specific thing shared, any decent friend will honor that," Whitney said.
- No friendship is perfect, and you and your friend should be able to voice your concerns when one of you feels hurt or needs to address a problem.
These crocheted AirPods cases make me want to buy AirPods
- I have never been too interested in the art of crochet, nor have I ever wanted a pair of AirPods.
- But put those things together in the form of crocheted AirPods cases, and suddenly, I’ve found myself in an Instagram hole, scrolling through photo after photo of these unfathomably cute creations.
- Although there are plenty of official accessory companies that offer AirPods cases that come with keychain holes and keychain accessories made specifically for AirPods cases, the real innovation is coming from artists and small business owners who sell their handmade goods through social networks like KakaoTalk and Instagram.
- I don’t own a pair of AirPods, but looking at all of these makes me want to buy 20 and slip them over packs of dental floss.
- Feel free to go through this hashtag to see more gems, but don’t get your hopes up about trying to buy them, unless you’re fluent in Korean.
A Fisherman’s Tale will hook you in VR
- I’d assumed there would be another delightful little experiment to enjoy in its latest title, A Fisherman’s Tale, but I wasn’t quite prepared for the degree at which the game would break my brain.
- In A Fisherman’s Tale you play as a puppet fisherman that’s confined to his cozy lighthouse home.
- And the game puts it to great use in the first two chapters, twisting the concept in several ways and mining it for all it’s worth.
- In the two chapters I’ve played of A Fisherman’s Tale the game has really only begun to scratch the surface of a deeper mystery at the heart of the story.
- Despite it being the team’s first game, A Fisherman’s Tale is undoubtedly an Innerspace experience.
- It’s very much the sum of all of these parts that makes A Fisherman’s Tale something that feels genuinely new.
We drove a $32,000 Subaru Forester and a $35,000 Mazda CX-5 to see which one is the better compact SUV. Here's the verdict
- This year, Business Insider had the chance to experience a 2018 Mazda CX-5 in top-spec Grand Touring trim and a 2019 Subaru Forester in mid-grade Sport trim.
- The base front-wheel-drive CX-5 Sport starts at $24,150, while the mid-grade Touring model starts at $26,215.
- For 2019, Mazda will add Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trims levels to the top end of the CX-5 lineup.
- Mazda will address our complaint about engine power in 2019 by making 250 horsepower turbocharged engine available on Grand Touring Reserve and Signature trim levels.
- The 2019 Subaru Forester comes in five trim levels: base, Premium, Sport, Limited, and Touring.
- At the same time, the 2019 Forester really wowed us with its solid feel, an impressive suite of standard drivers assistance tech, standard all-wheel-drive, comfortable cabin, and a superior infotainment system.
The antidote to civilisational collapse
- There is a sense of everything being slightly unreal; that you fight a war that seems to cost you nothing and it has no consequences at home; that money seems to grow on trees; that goods come from China and don’t seem to cost you anything; that phones make you feel liberated but that maybe they’re manipulating you but you’re not quite sure.
- If you look at the New York Times, for example, it’s continually about that feedback loop between what Trump has said and the reaction of liberal elements in the society.
- What modern management systems worked out, especially when computer networks came into being, was that you could actually manage people as groups by using data to understand how they were behaving in the mass, but you could create a system that allowed them to keep on thinking that they were individuals.
What Causes Hangovers, and How Can I Avoid Them?
- Ethanol might contribute to a leaky gut; in a (very, very preliminary) study, three months of probiotic treatment seemed to reduce inflammation, reduce injury to the liver, and reduce overall alcohol consumption … which also cut down hangovers.
- A chemical called dihydromyricetin, isolated from the Oriental Raisin Tree—a drunkenness and hangover remedy in the Chinese traditional pharmacopoeia—turned out to actually work a little bit.
- When you write about booze and science like I do, you get a lot of pitches on remedies—possibly because by one estimate the hangover cure market is worth $1 billion—and I’ve been in an email back-and-forth with one company for over a year, with various flacks insisting that their dihydromyricetin-and-vitamin formulation eases hangover symptoms, protects the liver, restores electrolytes, and so on.
- It’ll help slow the progress of the alcohol through your guts, and maybe even dilute the booze’s effect on your GI tract.
24 thoughtful and useful gifts for runners — according to an avid runner
- At one point, I averaged about 40 miles per week, and these are the thoughtful, useful, and life-hack-like gifts that I can say from experience will go the distance.
- They're designed to charge quickly (don't worry if you got dressed for a run and they're dead, 5 minutes in their charging case equals one hour of listening time), and don't have obnoxious cords that tangle in your arms while you run.
- The company was founded to keep the philanthropic efforts of the marathon community going all-year long, not just around race day.
- The company donates 5% of each sale to fund clean water projects, and each collection is designed to celebrate one of the countries in which Janji is supporting ongoing clean water efforts.
- In person, 2XU leggings feel effective— minimizing recovery time and feeling like a second-skin during long, hot runs.
How to buy a gaming keyboard
- Now those patents have expired, so we're starting to see a lot of gaming companies like Razer and Logitech whip up their own in-house solutions and even experiment a bit with technologies like "opto-mechanical" keys.
- Most gaming keyboards tend to be blingy, which is fine at home but maybe less so in an office environment: You need to find something a little more subdued like Das Keyboard or Logitech, or at least something whose LED lights can be turned off.
- There are models from companies like Das Keyboard that cost more than $200, but there's no real advantage to spending that much when Corsair and Logitech offer great decks for less.
- You can pick up dome switch gaming keyboards from Logitech and SteelSeries for as little as $30 to $50, and the quality has greatly improved in recent years.
Counting the Components of My Consciousness
- When the scientific discipline of artificial intelligence emerged in the 1950’s academics began to seriously believe that someday a computer will become sentient like us, and have consciousness and self-awareness.
- And if you pay close enough attention, your observer can experience all kinds of states of awareness – each I consider a component of consciousness.
- Lately, as my ability to instantly recall words has begun to fail, and I worry about a possible future with Alzheimer’s, I’ve been thinking about that state of consciousness without language.
- It’s funny how I love to contemplate artificial intelligence while worrying about losing my mental abilities.
- I’ve been trying to imagine the mind of the wolf who saw its mate killed by a human.
- However, it had vast levels of conditioning living in nature, socializing with other wolves, and experiences with other animals, including humans.