Playgroundz: The Leisure Economy rises with mobile esports, female gamers, and influencers
- The study’s findings reveal data showing the evolution and reasons behind the rise of professional gamer compensation, the impact of changing demographics on the gaming landscape, and a future outlook for esports and influencers.
- Over the past several years, new revenue streams have led to the rise of the Leisure Economy – which in the game industry represents the idea that gamers can earn a living by doing what they love – playing games.
- Research study findings reveal the rise of esports and influencers, supported by global communities like Twitch, will lead to drastic increases in nontraditional revenue streams – potentially equating 60 percent to 70 percent of revenue for gamers – including ad revenue, subscriptions, sponsorships and donations.
- Meanwhile, pro gamers are finding new audiences for hardcore difficult games like Dark Souls – with average compensation based on donations increasing by 550 percent since 2016.
Tony Hawk goes mobile
- For three years, Tony Hawk has been conspicuously absent from the video store shelves.
- For most game developers, that’s little more than a blip between titles.
- When your name and face are attached to 16 titles in 15 years, however, everyone starts to notice when you’re gone.
RANKED: Every Nintendo console and portable system
- There aren't many negatives to the Game Boy Advance, but when placed beside Nintendo's other consoles, the handheld didn't push many boundaries, and some of the best GBA games were ultimately better executed on other platforms.
- The console did have the benefit of backwards compatibility though, meaning that some of the better games from the GameCube era still had a home on the Wii. The main hardware innovation on the Nintendo 3DS was its 3D screen, which offers stereoscopic 3D images without special glasses or any extra accessories.
- In portable mode, the Switch functions like a way-more-powerful Game Boy with a touchscreen, but the controls can also be separated from the screen for a two player experience on the go.
- The basic, sturdy design, reliable functionality, and huge library of Game Boy games helped the basic hardware stand on its own for nearly 10 years, despite more technically advanced competition from handhelds like Sega's Game Gear.
Heroes of the Storm eulogy: For once, Blizzard couldn’t balance the casual and competive
- That lack of esports success reveals the core tensions at the heart of HOTS, and the thing that probably doomed it: as a game, it was never able to remedy the difference between casual and competitive play.
- It bet heavily on being the MOBA for casual players while also trying to develop a competitive playerbase and an esports league of the sort that Blizzard games have been known for.
- But Blizzard was always unable to take that next step of casual players learning the depths of the game — and largely due to its own mistakes, which can be seen in how Heroes esports never caught on.
- So what ended up happening, throughout all of Heroes of the Storm’s existence, is that the pros, by and large, played an extremely different game from general use in Quick Match, and a game that was still pretty damn different from competitive players.
KeyForge: The red-hot card game where every deck is unique—and unchangeable
- Decks are pre-constructed and can’t be altered; there’s no card chasing, and there’s certainly no over-arching “meta” game that must be respected.
- Those cards deployed to the table in previous turns may also now be activated to attack other creatures or to reap Æmber.
- It doesn’t seem ludicrous to imagine running into fellow hobbyists at a convention and having everyone pull out a deck of cards that’s uniquely theirs.
- I quickly noticed that newcomers did not want to play with the two constructed teaching decks found in the starter set.
- Having a pre-constructed deck where you can’t tinker with card lists or alter your collection does ease play and lower barriers, but it also means you may reach a point at which you have squeezed everything possible from your deck.
Review: The Fnatic miniSTREAK is a solid gaming keyboard for under $100
- As someone who sits in the middle of that particular venn diagram, I was thrilled when Fnatic offered me the chance to review their miniSTREAK compact gaming keyboard.
- The Fnatic miniSTREAK is ideal for gamers who want an authentic mechanical keyboard experience, yet lack the desktop real-estate for something bigger, like Alienware’s chunky AW768 Pro Gaming Keyboard.
- In my experience, Cherry MX Brown keys offer the best of both worlds for gamers and writers alike, and are a decent all-rounder.
- Keys require a bit of actuation to register, but it’s nowhere near as onerous as you’d expect with a Cherry MX Blue keyboard.
- If you’re not a gamer, but want a decent keyboard to write or code with, it’s still worth examining, courtesy of its comfortable design and delightful ergonomics.
33 under-$50 gifts from Target that prove you can get all your shopping done in one place
- Whether you're shopping for stocking stuffers, a white elephant gift exchange at work, or you simply need to stick to a strict budget, your money will go a long way here.
- Everyone deserves to have soft skin and lips, and this holiday gift set from Burt's Bees will provide them with exactly that.
- Including body wash, two-in-one shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, and a bonus toiletry bag, this gift set will keep the men on your list clean and smelling great.
- To get started, the gift set also includes shave gel and post-shave balm packaged in a holiday box.
- As the latest installment, Black Ops 4 packs in the story mode and online gameplay fans have come to know and love with a new battle royale mode designed to compete with Fornite.
Game AI Game Engine Homework
- The Game AI Game Engine (GAIGE) is a set of instructional programming assignments for the Game Artificial Intelligence course taught at Georgia Tech.
- GAIGE is a game engine built in python on top of the PyGame library that provides basic 2-D game functionality.
- Through a series of assignments, one will build up all the AI components needed to have AI agents play a game based roughly on the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) genre of game.
- The game engine is built in Python, using the Pygame and NumPy packages.
- Pygame is a 32-bit package.
- You will need a 32-bit version of Python.
- We use Python 2.7.
There's a very good reason why Samsung is betting big that the creator of 'Pokémon Go' is now worth $3.9 billion
- Now, it appears that Niantic, the game's developer and a Google spinoff, is leveling up with a new $200 million round of funding valuing the company at $3.9 billion, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- The Wall Street Journal reports that Niantic is also in talks to develop more games based on licensed intellectual property.
- Earlier this year, Niantic previewed the Real World Platform, software that it intends to license out to developers to make their own GPS-based augmented-reality games.
- Companies like Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook all see AR as a major new phase in computing, and there's clearly at least the opportunity for Niantic to play a major role in the gaming industry yet to come.
- In November, Samsung announced that it is collaborating with Niantic to further develop the Real World Platform, with this investment representing a deepening of that partnership.
6 NFL teams are competing for 1 playoff spot — here's how each one can lock it up
- After starting 1-5, the Colts have done all they can to get back into the playoff hunt, but they still need to be perfect through the final stretch of the season if they are going to play into January.
- Similar to the Chargers last season, who won seven of their final eight games of the year only to miss out on the postseason due to tiebreakers, how hot you're playing at the end of the year doesn't matter if you've already shot yourself in the foot in September.
- The team that takes the final wild-card spot in the AFC will have at the very least nine wins, and there's a good chance one of the four teams knotted at 7-6 runs the table and gets to 10.
- With rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield now the de facto leader of the team, the Browns have played with renewed vigor, winning three of their past four games.