8 Best Subscription Boxes for Kids: Bitsbox, Foodstirs, and More
- Kiwi Crate offers a bewildering array of gift boxes for all ages and interests, from toddlers under two to teenagers.
- My almost-four-year-old enjoyed a sample crate on rainbows, which contained fun, age-appropriate activities like making small stained glass windows.
- It's a lot harder to find age-appropriate, enjoyable books than it is to find toys, and both of Amazon's selections in the sample box were spot-on.
- Little Passports also caters to a variety of ages and interests, with an Early Explorers box aimed at children as young as three.
- crate does provide simple, fun, STEM activities for your five- to 10-year-old, the boxes also highlight the inspiring, accomplished women who have worked in those fields.
- It offers a lot of value for the money, and even though a few of the books were beyond her abilities, my four-year-old still very much enjoyed the selection.
Holiday Gift Ideas for Devs
- Holiday shopping can be quite hectic, so we’ve put together a few shopping guides to help out.
- Sticker packs can be a little gift that mean a lot.
- Her stickers have a lot of thought put into them.
- Besides zines, BubbleSort offers clothing, pins, and a sticker pack of the month club.
- A lot of readers have said that these zines helped them understand complex programming concepts easily.
- You can check out the SoSplush shop on Etsy and follow Kelly Mahoney on Instagram for future updates.
- Right now, they’re offering free shipping on their JewelBits science kits.
- Some community members have written programming courses and career guides from their experience in the industry.
- In our next guide, we’ll share some of our favorites to help beginners get started and to help pros refine their skills.
We just got a stark warning that the US economy is slowing as trade tensions persist
- The lagging sales data signals slower economic growth than hoped for in the fourth-quarter, as the US-China trade war also pulled the US manufacturing sector further into a recession last month.
- While November sales fell under expectations, the lag could also be a result of 2019's shifted holiday season, JPMorgan Chase economist Daniel Silver said in a Thursday note.
- December's sales data will offer greater clarity on whether the US consumer is cooling, since "the late timing of Thanksgiving this year could have pushed some holiday shopping from November to December," Silver wrote.
US Holiday Sales to Cross $1 Trillion for First Time: Tempered growth expected amid a tight calendar and economic uncertainty
- (This year has six fewer days between Thanksgiving and Christmas than in 2018.) Copyright © 2019 eMarketer Inc.
- . Cyber Monday is once again expected to be the biggest online shopping day in US history, with a total that could approach—or even surpass—$10 billion.
- Black Friday, Thanksgiving and "Cyber Tuesday" should also rank among the leading days for the season.
- In-store sales for the 2019 holiday season will increase by 2.5% to $872.25 billion.
- Brick-and-mortar still represents the majority (86.6%) of holiday sales, but its share has steadily declined.
- . Ecommerce sales this holiday season will increase 13.2% to $135.35 billion.
- That means ecommerce will represent 13.4% of all holiday retail sales this year, a figure that has been growing steadily.
- While mcommerce (sales via smartphones and tablets) will drive just 6.4% of total holiday retail sales, it will be the fastest-growing shopping channel.
Hasbro rolls out Baby Yoda toys
- Hasbro, the toymaker, announced that Baby Yoda toys and collectible figures are finally available for purchase, and they're starting at $9.99.
- The toys are now available for pre-order, but won't actually be shipping until May. So even though they won't be ready for this holiday season, you could use them as a Memorial Day gift, maybe?
- Baby Yoda apparel is already available from some retailers, but figurines had not yet been officially released.
- Now, that's changing, with the introduction of Baby Yoda plush toys, action figures and collectibles.
- There's even one that includes Baby Yoda's iconic broth bowl.
- Baby Yoda has quickly become one of the most popular figures of 2019, after the character appeared on Disney+'s "The Mandalorian," which debuted in November.
- Since the character's unveiling, the hype has spread across the internet -- even turning the alien into viral meme.
When should you tell your child the truth about Santa? A psychotherapist weighs in.
- After all, you don't want your child to get made fun of for believing that Santa will come down the chimney when they're a teenager.
- Whenever I've been asked that question, I always reassure parents that I'm yet to have an adult enter my therapy office claiming that believing in Santa — or being told the truth — scarred them for life.
- When your child first starts asking questions, your instinct might be to reassure them that Santa is real and his magic powers help him defy logic.
- And some parents tell kids that Christmas is all about giving, and now that they know the truth about Santa, their job is to become Santa to someone else (this makes giving part of their future tradition).
- If you believe Christmas won't be fun now that your child knows the truth, your Grinch-like spirit will probably drag you (and perhaps everyone else) down.
The next Xbox is called Series X and it looks like a PC tower
- The Game Awards kicked off with a bang as Microsoft offered a first proper look at the next Xbox and revealed the console's name: Xbox Series X.
- Microsoft said in a blog post the Series X design allows it to pack in four times the processing power of Xbox One X "in the most quiet and efficient way." It's said to be no louder than an Xbox One X.
- It'll still support discs (though rumors suggest an all-digital version is still in the works), and that Xbox logo is the power button.
- Along with the upcoming console, Microsoft revealed its new Xbox Wireless Controller.
- A console needs games, of course, and the reveal included a world-premiere look at Senua's Saga: Hellblade II, which is a sequel to Ninja Theory's Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
- Microsoft didn't offer concrete details on exactly when the Xbox Series X will be available beyond that holiday window nor how much it'll cost.
The best hotel deals to book right now if you still want to get away for the holidays
- Different properties have different availability, but I found the Winter Sun package to be available over Christmas at the Kimpton Angler's Hotel South Beach for a suite with a terrace for $225 per night.
- Rates are as low as $166 for Christmas and New Year's week for entry-level rooms and only rose to a reasonable $265 for New Year's Eve. Better yet, the package includes a welcome bottle of wine and is available through January 12, 2020 if you're not in a hurry to get back to the office.
- DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront is offering a New Year's Eve package to ring in the New Year, including a southern buffet breakfast and late check-out for those who stay up past midnight.
The 25 most romantic states to spend Christmas, ranked
- When states had the same score, Civitatis used the Christmas spirit as the deciding factor between the two.
- Here are the top 25 most romantic states to spend Christmas.
- New York was ranked as the least friendly state, but it remains iconic with holiday attractions like ice skating at the Rockefeller Center and carriage rides in Central Park.
- Maine earned the top score in Christmas spirit, but a low score in friendliness.
- The top three states contain a total of 2,001 Christmas tree farms, boosting their rankings.
- Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, is known as "Christmas City." Pennsylvania also streams the most hours of holiday music out of any state and has the second highest number of Christmas tree farms.
- Washington's abundance of Christmas events throughout the state and solid rankings across music, spending, and romance categories make this state the most romantic in the US at Christmas.
Retail sales, trade deal details, import data: 3 things to watch for in the markets on Friday
- We'll get a read on the health of the U.S. consumer on Friday when the Commerce Department releases November retail sales.
- November is one of the busiest months of the year for retail and includes the Black Friday holiday.
- Economists are estimating a 0.5% rise in retail sales in November, according to data surveyed by Dow Jones.
- Retail sales increased 0.3% in October, lifted by motor vehicle purchases and higher gasoline prices, reversing September's 0.3% drop, which was the first decline in seven months.
- Investors will be looking to see if consumers cut back on purchases of big-ticket household items and clothing, a trend that persisted in October that worried retailers a weaker holiday shopping season.
- The Labor department will release import price data on Friday.
- Economist polled by Dow Jones are expecting a 0.2% rise in import prices, compared to the 0.5% drop in October.