Salmonella outbreak tied to raw turkey expands with 63 more illnesses
- There have been 279 reported cases of salmonella associated with raw turkey in 41 states and the District of Columbia as of December 21.
- Ill people have reported using many types and brands of raw turkey products, and the CDC has been unable to find an origin for the outbreak, so it is advancing with recalls and advising consumers to take precaution when buying and eating raw turkey.
- Non-typhoidal salmonella is transmitted by consuming contaminated food and is a common culprit of diarrhea throughout the United States and around the world.
- The US Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service does not recommend washing turkey before preparation because of the risk of introducing bacteria in raw meat juices to the surroundings.
- The CDC also wants consumers to think about their pets throughout this outbreak and refrain from feeding these companions any raw meet because of a similar possibility of illness.
The 20 best smartphones in the world
- The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus offer some compelling features, including water-resistance, great cameras that perform well in low light, and powerful processors.
- It features everything you could possibly want in a smartphone, including performance, a great camera, and other features like wireless charging and water resistance.
- It sports the latest specs, best display, one of the best cameras you can get on a smartphone, a gorgeous design, wireless charging, water resistance, and several other features that make the Galaxy S9 a fool-proof buy.
- The LG V40 is a great smartphone with all the usual high-end Android phone features, and it comes with a triple-lens rear camera system that offers users the best versatility in taking photos.
- Meanwhile, phones with dual-lens systems, even LG's G7, offer you either a zoom lens or an ultra-wide angle lens on top of the regular wide angle lens that almost all smartphones come wi
Parties Line Up to Sue Trump on ‘National Emergency’ Declaration
- If Trump plans to pay for construction by reallocating military funds, individuals or businesses who lose funding as a result of that decision could also sue.Central to the arguments against the emergency declaration will be the separation-of-powers doctrine that affords Congress the right to allocate or not allocate money for certain discretionary programs.
- Trump’s exercise of the power in a matter of national security is on much more solid ground than President Barack Obama’s 2009 emergency to deal with swine flu, said John Eastmen, a constitutional law professor at Chapman University and former clerk to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
- There aren’t many legal determinations on the president’s powers under the National Emergencies Act. One such case is a Korean War-era lawsuit dubbed the steel-seizure case, which addressed President Harry Truman’s lack of authority to seize private property without the support of Congress.
Hasbro's Bluetooth lightsaber lets kids train to become a Jedi
- The Star Wars Lightsaber Academy is a suped-up version of the standard lightsaber that comes with its own training exercises and activities built in, according to The Verge.
- The toy connected to a smartphone app via Bluetooth to provide Jedis-in-training with interactive challenges that teach them to fight like their favorite Star Wars characters.
- Similar to Lenovo's augmented reality game Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, Lightsaber Academy comes with a standard, extendable lightsaber base.
- It features walk-through on how to fight like five different characters, including Yoda, Rey, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren. The guide explains each character's poses and attack styles and uses motion tracking to record progress.
- Versions of the sabers that don't include Bluetooth connectivity will be available for $7.99 and will come in red, blue and green.
- Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader models will also be available for $19.99.
'Lorena' goes beyond tabloid trappings and to the heart of Bobbitt case
- But "Lorena" uses that time to contextualize events that surrounded the case, from Anita Hill's testimony to the Tailhook convention to the O.J. Simpson trial, all of which touch upon sexual politics and how the media processed sexual-assault and harassment allegations, including the question of marital rape.
- Nobody covering the story comes off particularly well; still, a few personalities look especially bad with the benefit of hindsight, from Geraldo Rivera seeking to bully his way into interviews to Stern yukking it up -- even making light of the rape allegations -- on his radio show with John, who embraced and sought to profit from his place in tabloid culture, and whose transgressions didn't end after the trials.
A look at the global fintech landscape and how countries are embracing digital disruption in financial services
- Now, after years of proliferation, countries around the world are starting to see their fintech industries mature.
- This indicates that the space is still far from being fully developed, and that there are many new ways in which startups and their technologies continue to change financial services.
- The spread of fintech can be largely seen in the emergence of fintech hubs — cities where startups, talent, and funding congregate — which are proliferating globally in tandem with ongoing disruption in financial services.
- In The Global Fintech Landscape, Business Insider Intelligence compiles various fintech snapshots, which together show the global proliferation of fintech, and illustrate where fintech is starting to mature and where it is just breaking onto the scene.
- Each snapshot provides an overview of the fintech industry in a particular country, and details what is contributing to or hindering its further development.
Save 15% on Brooklinen sheets and bedding — and more of today's best deals from around the web
- For even more deals and savings across the web, check out our coupons page.
- Best Buy always has decent prices on the latest tech, but this Presidents' Day weekend, the retailer is putting a ton of items on sale.
- For more deals and coupons at Best Buy, check out our coupons page here.
- As an Amazon Deal of the Day, you can save $29.96 on this smart InstantPot. Developed by MIT scientists, Maelove is a new but wildly popular skincare startup.
- After selling out multiple times, the brand's cult-favorite vitamin c serum is back in stock along with a new line of products including eye enhancer, face cleanser, and face moisturizer.
- For more deals and coupons on Timberland, check out our coupons page here.
- For more deals and coupons on Alex and Ani, check out our coupons page here.
14 Oscar-winning movies that haven't stood the test of time
- It was the most-nominated film at the 2018 Oscars and won four out of 13 awards, including best picture and best director.
- Matthew McConaughey's Oscar-winning performance in "Dallas Buyers Club" is about the only part of this movie that still feels praise-worthy (despite the apparent straightwashing of his character, who was reportedly queer in real life).
- As Business Insider's Jason Guerrasio points out, the film's best picture award is especially frustrating when you consider how "The Social Network" should've won.
- Despite its star-studded cast, noble social message, six nominations, and three wins at the 2006 Oscars, The Atlantic named it "the worst movie of the decade" in 2009.
- Whatever your feelings on "separating art from the artist," the seven Oscar nominations for Polanski's 2002 film "The Pianist" certainly did not need to include its nomination — or subsequent win — for best director, an explicit celebration of Polanski himself.
Opendoor files to raise another $200M at a $3.7B valuation, documents show
- Opendoor, the company that aims to bypass real estate agents and brokers by providing an online platform — by way of a mobile app — for people to buy and sell properties direct, has filed papers in Delaware indicating that it would like to raise around $200 million more, at a valuation of about $3.7 billion.
- The shares are described as a “Series E-2”, which likely means this is an extension on OpenDoor’s last round, from September 2018, of $400 million.
- That itself was an expansion of a previous E round that OpenDoor had raised in June 2018 of $325 million.
- If you’re buying, we make it incredibly easy to tour hundreds of Opendoor homes so you can find the perfect one.” It also has created a streamlined process to cut down the paperwork and work that agents do around transactions.
Donald Trump declares a national emergency
- It does not include the $5.7bn for a border wall that President Donald Trump had demanded as his price for keeping the government open.
- Yet on February 15th Mr Trump said he would also declare a state of emergency at the southern border, which would allow him to redirect previously appropriated defence funds to his promised wall.
- The two in which Mr Trump is most interested are provisions allowing him to redirect funding previously appropriated to the defence department and the army's civil-works directorate for construction.
- The Department of Justice has already warned Mr Trump that courts will block his emergency declaration, in which case he will appeal.
- The money made available by the emergency declaration will come from funds appropriated for military-construction projects, around $3.5bn.
- Meanwhile, Mitch McConnell, the Republican leader in the Senate, and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina both said they would support the emergency declaration.