Dear Sophie: What I'm thankful for
- Here’s another edition of “Dear Sophie,” the advice column that answers immigration-related questions about working at technology companies.
- I’m appreciative of all of our clients from around the world who we’ve been able to successfully support.
- I’m appreciative of my amazing team at Alcorn Immigration Law and for our successes in supporting folks to come to live and work in the U.S. and achieve their dreams.
- I’m appreciative for having the opportunity to share my knowledge on my podcast, Immigration Law for Tech Startups — this week’s podcast is all about appreciation!
- I also appreciate the aspiring startup founder we helped to gain independence from a corporate employer by assisting him with self-petitioning his green card.
- I am also appreciating that we successfully supported a prospective startup co-founder to remain in the U.S. while maintaining his position in line for a green card.
Biden to be examined by orthopedist after twisting ankle
- Washington, DC (CNN) - President-elect Joe Biden will be examined by an orthopedist Sunday afternoon "out of an abundance of caution" after twisting his ankle Saturday while playing with his dog, Major, his office announced.
- Biden, who celebrated his 78th birthday on November 20, is set to be the oldest president in US history.
- During the campaign, the Biden campaign released a summary of Biden's medical history, which showed the former vice president was healthy and fit for the presidency.
- The release included the results of a physical exam by Dr. Kevin O'Connor, Biden's primary care doctor since 2009 and the director of executive medicine at The George Washington Medical Faculty Associates.
- The Biden family has two dogs, Major and Champ, both German Shepherds.
- Champ joined the Biden family during the presidential transition in December 2008, weeks after Biden became vice president-elect.
Black Friday on track for $8.9B+ in online sales as shoppers stay away from brick-and-mortar stores
- Figures from Adobe, which is following online sales in real-time at 80 of the top 100 retailers in the U.S., covering some 100 million SKUs, said that we are “on track” for a new sales record for the day, with between $8.9 billion and $9.6 billion expected in sales online for Black Friday, a jump of 20%-29% on last year.
- One big takeaway from the bigger weekend figures will be that offering items — electronics, tech, toys and sports goods being the most popular categories — at the right price will help retailers continue to bring in sales, in what has proven to be an especially strong year for online shopping after many have opted to stay away from crowded places due to the pandemic, but also a critical year for retailers because of the drag that the pandemic has had on the wider economy.
UK urges tech companies to help tackle excessive e-waste in damning report
- A damning report from the House of Commons Environmental Audit Committee (EAC) claims the UK falls well behind other countries in managing electronic waste.
- Committee members also suggested major companies such as Amazon and Apple discourage recycling and repairs through some of the practices they employ.
- That's the second-highest level of e-waste per capita after Norway, according to a recent UN report.
- "In the countries that receive our electronic waste, it is often dumped, with toxic chemicals leaching into the environment and harming people," the EAC wrote.
- While that practice might encourage consumers to buy newer products, it has a negative impact on sustainability.
- “Tech companies should now take the lead in creating sustainable and environmentally friendly business models that do not rely on the overexploitation of nature and natural resources," the committee added.
A Sure Way To Improve Your Data Science Skills
- To date, I’ve gradually improved my Data Science skills based on gut feel.
- Deliberate practice is a technique used to improve at a skill of interest, based on constant feedback and working outside of your comfort zone.
- Keeping these points in mind the most obvious way one could improve their Data Science skills is by taking part in Data Science competitions.
- In this post, I’ve only suggested one way you can deliberately practice your Data Science skills, however, we already know (if you're a follower of my post) that Data Science is a major field and there are bigger parts of the puzzle one can decide to focus on, for example, one may decide to focus on deploying models, or data storytelling.
PHP 8 Is Here
- The PHP development team announces the immediate availability of PHP 8.0.0.
- This release marks the latest major release of the PHP language.
- Take a look at the PHP 8.0 Announcement Addendum for more information.
- For source downloads of PHP 8.0.0 please visit our downloads page, Windows source and binaries can be found on windows.php.net/download/.
- The list of changes is recorded in the ChangeLog. The migration guide is available in the PHP Manual.
- Please consult it for the detailed list of new features and backward incompatible changes.
- Many thanks to all the contributors and supporters!
MySale Group takes aim at ASX
- Online retailer MySale Group, which recently snared the co-founders of rival platform Catch Group as major backers, is mulling an ASX listing.
- In October, digital entrepreneurs the Leibovich brothers – who are co-founders of online retailer Catch Group, now owned by Wesfarmers – and Catch Group's former chief executive, Nati Harpaz, invested $9.3 million for a 10 per cent stake in MySale.
- On Thursday, Mr Jackson said the platform is now being used by even more international brands, looking to take advantage of its Southern Hemisphere customer base, and the counter seasonal inventory.
- Mr Jackson said trading in the first four months of the new financial year has been profitable, underpinned by strong gross margins.
- The online retailer is finally trading profitably and has snared the co-founders of rival platform Catch Group as major investors.
Rock-star programmer: Rivers Cuomo finds meaning in coding
- As far as final projects for online programming courses go, however, it’s something to behold.
- But while, in its current configuration, the Drivetime tour scheduling tool might have limited appeal, the musician’s final project from Harvard’s follow-up course, CS50W, is immediately apparent for an army of fans who have followed his quarter-century-plus career.
- The band has two albums completed beyond this year’s Black Album, and he’s already begun work on two more follow-ups.
- Cuomo says the band has two albums completed beyond this year’s Black Album, and he’s already begun work on two more follow-ups.
- After decades of feeling beholden to the 18-month major label album release cycle, the singer says that after the Demos project, he has a newfound interest in finding more ways to release music directly to fans.
- Cuomo estimates that he’s been spending around 70% of his work hours on programming projects.
European Parliament vote takes another big step toward ‘right to repair’ rules
- The EU has just taken a big step toward establishing stronger “right to repair” rules, with the the European Parliament voting overwhelmingly in support of a resolution on a “sustainable single market,” according to iFixit.
- The vote marks the latest major push toward the EU’s larger goals of making devices last longer and reducing e-waste.
- The EU Commission had announced plans earlier this year for new “right to repair” rules for phones, tablets, and laptops by 2021.
- The resolution also advocates for increased availability of things like repair instructions and spare parts for both independent repair shops and individual consumers, in order to better facilitate repairs and extend the lifespan of devices.