Call of Duty: Modern Warfare gets 2v2 Gunfight multiplayer alpha on August 23
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is getting a 2v2 Gunfight multiplayer alpha this weekend, Infinity Award announced at Geoff Keighley’s Opening Night event at Gamescom 2019.
- Dino Verano, producer at Infinity Ward, said on stage at the event that the game’s revelation of multiplayer combat got a lot of positive fan feedback recently.
- He said the game will have crossplay from console to console and console to PC.
- The game is playable this week at Gamescom in the PlayStation booth.
- I played the 2v2 mode in May as well as this week ahead of Gamescom at the Nvidia booth on a RTX-based PC.
- It is quite fun and humbling when you are facing off against a good pair of enemies.
- You have to be quick on the draw to get the drop on an enemy, just like in a Western style gunslinger fight.
PUBG is getting cross-play for Xbox One and PS4 in October
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) will get cross-play support in early October.
- PUBG players on Xbox One and PS4 will be able to match and play against each other.
- Test servers will be the first to offer cross-play in late September, with regular PUBG servers expected to get the update in early October.
- PUBG is the latest in a line of top games that are enabling cross-save and cross-play support.
- The barriers to cross-play support were lowered last year, after Sony eventually backed down on both Fortnite and Rocket League cross-play with a new policy change.
- Bungie is also enabling cross-save on Destiny 2 this week, and we’re expecting to see cross-play for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in the future, too.
- Command Line delivers daily updates from the near-future.
The Lost City of Heracleion
- But those excavating the ancient Egyptian city of Heracleion have exchanged their sunblock for scuba gear.
- Despite the tough working conditions, the drowned city routinely reveals wonders, including mostly recently the remains of a temple, gold jewelry, coins and the missing piece of a ceremonial boat.
- Remarkably, despite the passage of thousands of years and the sinking of the entire city, small artifacts have survived as well.
- The artifacts are spectacular enough, but the city’s watery fate demonstrates another way in which the discovery benefits modern scholars.
- Based on artifacts and radiocarbon dates, Jean-Daniel Stanley and Marguerite Toscano were able to determine that the city was founded around 2,700 years ago.
- Based on Heracleion’s and other cities’ current depth, the researchers were able to determine the rate at which the entire coast subsided.
Dying Light 2 and a new Tencent game get Nvidia RTX ray tracing
- Nvidia is working with more developers to bring ray tracing to several new upcoming releases.
- During a presentation at Gamescom in Germany, the graphics company revealed that its RTX technology is coming to the new content for Metro Exodus, Minecraft, Dying Light 2, and Synced: Off-Planet.
- Metro Exodus already supports RTX, so it makes sense that its DLC would as well.
- Dying Light 2 is developer Techland’s sequel to its original zombie, parkour adventure.
- Like the first game, this game puts a heavy emphasis on light and the dangers of going out in the dark.
- And now with RTX global illumination, Techland can make those night scenes look even more realistic and natural.
- You can see what that looks like in the screenshots below.
- Synced: Off-Planet, meanwhile, is a newly announced game from publisher Tencent and developer Next Games.
Call of Duty and more get ray-tracing trailers at Gamescom
- Nvidia is building an impressive library of games that support its real-time ray tracing.
- In June, I wrote that the tech is finally starting to take off with support in games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and more.
- While Nvidia announced new games getting RTX like Dying Light 2 at the Gamescom fan event in Germany, it also revealed how the tech will work in those previously announced titles.
- Infinity Ward is implementing RTX, but don’t expect anything too intense.
- The studio is focusing the tech on real-time shadows.
- Developer Remedy is using ray tracing for shadows, reflections, and global illumination, which is the holy trinity for RTX.
- Ubisoft is also embracing RTX, but like Infinity Ward, it is limiting the implementation.
- The new Watch Dogs will have ray-traced reflections.
- The Vampire sequel is also using RTX for ray tracing.
Minecraft to get big lighting, shadow and color upgrades through Nvidia ray tracing
- Minecraft is getting a free update that brings much-improved lighting and color to the game’s blocky graphics using real-time ray tracing running on Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics hardware.
- The ray tracing tech will be available via a free update to the game on Windows 10 PCs, but it’ll only be accessible to players using an Nvidia GeForce RTX GPU, since that’s the only graphics hardware on the market that currently supports playing games with real-time ray tracing active.
- This is welcome news after Minecraft developer Mojang announced last week that it cancelled plans to release its Super Duper Graphics Pack, which was going to add a bunch of improved visuals to the game, because it wouldn’t work well across platforms.
- At the time, Mojang said it would be sharing news about graphics optimization for some platforms “very soon,” and it looks like this is what they had in mind.
- Throughout the centuries, Slavs have explored the centre of this continuum in various ways: ordinary people learned to talk to their neighbours by means of simple, improvised language forms, while linguists and others have attempted to describe a generic Slavic language that would be understandable to all Slavs alike, often, albeit not always, taking Old Church Slavonic as a starting point.
- To enhance communication between speakers of different Slavic languages, Interslavic removes these idiosyncrasies and focuses on the numerous words and forms that the Slavic languages have in common.
- What all these proposals have in common though, is that they simplify grammar to a certain degree, use an orthography that is more in line with contemporary needs and possibilities, replace archaic features with modern material, and seek the middle point between multiple, if not all, Slavic languages.
Wayfair is having a massive renovation sale
- Pick from grey or black color options for the Andover Mills Millfield 36" Single Bathroom Vanity Set ($674.99, originally $1,706; wayfair.com), which features three drawers for all your morning and night essentials, as well as a two-door cabinet with a modern silhouette for towels and linens.
- The ultimate modern farmhouse look, Mohawk Flooring Fieldview 8" x 47" x 7mm Oak Laminate Flooring ($1.89/ square foot; wayfair.com) is covered with a protective layer that features maximum scratch protection for an affordable, scuff-free option.
- Available in stainless steel, matte black, or pure gold, Kraus Artec Pro 2-Function Pull Down Single Handle Kitchen Faucet ($294.19, originally $815; wayfair.com) features a modern design that includes a rotating pot filler and a pull-down faucet spray.
Best Buy is offering up to $150 off the iPad and iPad Pro tablets for a limited time
- Now may well be the time to buy — Best Buy has announced pretty stellar discounts on both the entry-level iPad and the iPad Pro, so whether you're looking for an inexpensive tablet or a powerhouse, you're in luck.
- It may not have the modern design of the new iPad Pro, but it still looks great and offers a Touch ID home button, plus it comes in a few different colors and should be more than powerful enough for the majority of users.
- It seems as though only the 128GB model of the iPad is on sale, but if you need that much storage, you'll get a discount of an impressive $130.
- The base-model 11-inch iPad Pro offers 64GB of storage and comes in a few different colors, plus it's powered by the Apple A12X Bionic chip, which is Apple's most powerful chip to date.