ICE says a nurse examined the detained immigrant who claims she is breastfeeding, and she's not lactating
- On Tuesday, Bryan Cox, a spokesman for US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said immigration officials did not learn of Domingo-Garcia's claim she was breastfeeding an infant daughter until they read it in a news report about a week after she was detained in the raids that yielded the arrests of 680 undocumented immigrants.
- Domingo-Garcia was breastfeeding her daughter to put her to sleep every night, up until she was detained August 7, her attorney, Ray Ybarra Maldonado, told CNN.
- The Rev. Roberto Mena of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Forest, Mississippi, who has been working with the family, told CNN on Tuesday that within the first couple of days of detention, Domingo-Garcia asked authorities to deliver her breast milk to her baby, which they rejected.
Brands are beefing about who has the best chicken sandwich, and it's a mess
- If you didn't know, many fast food franchises offer chicken sandwiches.
- Over the past 36 hours, a feedback loop of sassy brand tweets from fast food chains has caused major upheaval among the chicken sandwich factions.
- When recounting the Great Chicken Sandwich War to our grandchildren, our Boston Tea Party, our assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, will be Popeyes' announcement of a new chicken sandwich.
- Fast-food Twitter's resident rabble-rouser, Wendy's, had to have her say.
- For some reason, Boston Market even entered the fray, trying to take a swipe at Chick-fil-A's new mac and cheese offering.
- Yes, one could pack plenty of socioeconomic insight into the Chicken Sandwich Discourse if it were given a chance to rise above the faux-squabbling throng of fast food social media directors.
Take note, 'SNL': TV's sketch comedy boom is hip, smart and inclusive
- In reality, it's been four years since Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele's Emmy-and-Peabody-winning Comedy Central show "Key & Peele" ended and TV's sketch market is growing increasingly racially diverse.
- In addition to "Sherman's Showcase," which premiered on July 31, this summer has also seen the premieres of HBO's "A Black Lady Sketch Show" (which premiered August 2) and Comedy Central's "Alternatino with Arturo Castro" (which premiered June 18).
- Other projects include Nickelodeon's revival of its long-running "All That" with breakout stars Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell serving as executive producers and "Black-ish" creator Kenya Barris' upcoming partnership with sketch troupe the Astronomy Club for Netflix.
- Dave Chappelle, who reinvigorated the genre with his Comedy Central series "Chappelle's Show," will receive this year's Mark Twain Prize for Humor and will soon release a new Netflix comedy special.
- Fighting stereotypes one sketch at a time ...
Deputy secretary of state expected to be selected for US ambassador to Russia
- CNN reported earlier this month that Huntsman has submitted his resignation letter to Trump and plans to move back home to Utah, according to a source familiar with his thinking.
- Sullivan was a partner at Mayer Brown in Washington and co-chaired the law firm's national security practice before being nominated as former Secretary of State Rex Tillerson's deputy in April 2017.
- He previously served as chairman of the United States-Iraq Business Dialogue, a government advisory committee that dealt with US-Iraq economic relations, and held senior positions at the Justice, Defense and Commerce departments.
- The New York Times first reported Sullivan's selection.
- This is a breaking story and will be updated.
'Succession' renewed for Season 3
- The series stars Brian Cox as Logan Roy, a megalomaniac oligarch who enjoys playing mind games with his children about who will inherit his empire as much as he does basking in his own success.
- Alan Ruck, Jeremy Strong, Sarah Snook and Kieran Culkin play his offspring, while Nicholas Braun and Matthew Macfadyen play other relatives who are concerned about their respective rungs on the corporate ladder.
- Created by British author and screenwriter Jesse Armstrong, the show has been lauded for its parallels to the current media landscape and is in the process of vying for five Emmy Awards, including best drama series.
- The second season of "Succession" airs Sundays on HBO.
- A premiere date for Season 3 has not been announced.
- HBO and CNN share parent company WarnerMedia.
Facebook commissioned a study of alleged anti-conservative bias. Here's what it found
- New York (CNN Business) - Facebook released the results of a year-long, independent investigation of the company's alleged anti-conservative bias on Tuesday.
- Although Facebook has made some progress in eliminating anti-conservative bias, the company still has work left to do, the investigators say.
- The audit came at Facebook's request last year, following repeated claims of anti-conservative bias, including from President Donald Trump.
- Kyl's report says Facebook's previous policy on what they called "sensational" advertisements meant that pro-life ads that "focused on survival stories of infants born before full-term" were rejected from the platform.
- Although Kyl acknowledges several steps Facebook has taken over the last year to counteract anti-conservative bias, the report argues that the work is far from finished.
- President Trump and other conservatives have used allegations of political bias as a talking point against Silicon Valley companies like Facebook and Google.
Former Ohio judge and politician Lance Mason pleads guilty to killing ex-wife
- Lance Mason, 51, entered guilty pleas to aggravated murder; murder; felonious assault; violating a protection order; and grand theft in the death of Aisha Fraser.
- A plea agreement with prosecutors calls for Mason to be sentenced to life in prison for the aggravated murder charge, Judge John Haas said.
- But the judge will decide at sentencing whether Mason will be eligible for parole after serving at least 20, 25, or 30 years.
- Authorities said Mason fatally stabbed Fraser as she arrived at a Shaker Heights home with the couple's 8-year-old and 11-year-old children.
- Mason had served prison time for attacking Fraser in 2014.
- Mason was a sitting judge on Cuyahoga County's Court of Common Pleas when he was charged with the 2014 attack.
Ashley Graham's nude pregnancy photo tells an important truth
- It's a far cry from the typical celebrity nude pregnancy photo, the often glamorized, sometimes airbrushed (sometimes not) ode to how Hollywood does motherhood -- think the iconic and groundbreaking 1991 Demi Moore Vanity Fair cover (which Moore says, by the way, was not airbrushed).
- There was empowerment in that image of Moore, which served to expose the pregnant (celebrity) body and ignite the idea that losing the "perfections" of pre-pregnancy youth was nothing to be ashamed of.
- But although Moore's body in that photo was indeed bigger — the round belly, full breasts and solid thighs that come with pregnancy — it was still pretty perfect, beautifully lit, and presented in a way that ultimately served not just to normalize but to fetishize.
CBP will not vaccinate migrants against flu
- Migrants are supposed to held in CBP custody for 72 hours or less, but often remain there for longer.
- After leaving CBP custody, children without parents are sent into the care of the US Department of Health and Human Services, where flu vaccines are distributed, according to Evelyn Stauffer, a spokeswoman for the Office of Refugee Resettlement, a part of HHS.
- Public health experts had strong reactions to CBP's statement, saying the department should be able to vaccinate migrants, even if they're in CBP custody for only a few days.
- Children younger than 5, and especially those younger than 2, are at high risk of serious flu-related complications, according to the CDC.
- On August 5, two members of Congress wrote a letter to the heads of the US Department of Homeland Security and HHS expressing concern about contagious diseases.
Pit bulls maul and kill a 9-year-old girl in Detroit
- The girl, who has been identified as Emma Hernandez, was in an alley when the three pit bulls attacked her, according to a Detroit Police spokeswoman.
- Witnesses tried to save the girl and police said that someone shot one of the dogs.
- Deborah Golden lives in the neighborhood and told WXYZ that she heard screaming and saw Emma on her back with bite marks on her neck.
- Emma's family described her as "a wonderful child who touched the lives of those around her" on a GoFundMe page to raise money for her funeral costs.
- The owner of the three dogs was taken into custody, but police did not identify the 33-year-old man or say if he has been charged.
- The three dogs were taken to Detroit Animal Care and Control and are being evaluated.