The Scottish Book (Polish: Księga Szkocka) was a thick notebook used by mathematicians of the Lwów School of Mathematics in Poland for jotting down problems meant to be solved.
The notebook was named after the "Scottish Café" where it was kept.
The Scottish Café (Polish: Kawiarnia Szkocka) was the café in Lwów (now Lviv) where, in the 1930s and 1940s, mathematicians from the Lwów School collaboratively discussed research problems, particularly in functional analysis and topology.
The café building used to house the Universal Bank [uk] at the street address of 27 Taras Shevchenko Prospekt.
The original cafe was renovated in May 2014 and contains a copy of the Scottish Book.
After World War II, an English translation annotated by Ulam was published by Los Alamos National Laboratory in 1957. After World War II, Steinhaus at the University of Wrocław revived the tradition of the Scottish book by initiating The New Scottish Book.