A millennial networking startup is taking MBAs head on — and throwing in brunch for good measure
- Karpis now runs brunchwork, a New York-based startup that has hosted popular weekend networking events for the past four years.
- Business-savvy millennials meet with luminaries from across industries to learn from their experiences (while eating a farm-to-table lunch and sipping mimosas, as the name implies).
- The company is now looking to expand its services by opening a weekend campus where members can get MBA-level opportunities at a fraction of the cost.
- Starting October 19, brunchwork will offer the campus program at workplace-provider Industrious in Manhattan's Bryant Park.
- Karpis described it as taking the "core value" of the MBA and providing it for brunchwork's target audience in a way that fits neatly into their lives.
- Karpis expects their audience to grow three or four times over the next year with the launch of the campus, which is open to both brunchwork and Industrious.
Interview with Molly Struve: 3 Tactics for Mentoring Others
- During that journey, Molly has learned a thing or two about mentoring other engineers, and she shared some of her experiences and advice during our discussion.
- Learning to step into the mind space of your junior colleagues is one of the most important skills to master as a mentor.
- We talked about the idea of unconscious competence and how breaking your knowledge down into things that you can teach is a great way to recognize the experience that you've taken for granted.
- She does something called "Lunch with Leads," where a lead engineer (like Molly) takes a more junior person out to lunch.
- Interestingly, as a part of this practice, Molly likes to share an example of something she did wrong.
- If you're interested in learning from veteran engineers like Molly, subscribe to my newsletter and follow along with the podcast.
Alexa Presentation Language Now Generally Available: Build Multimodal Experiences that Come Alive with Animation
- APL enables you to easily create visually rich Alexa skills for devices with screens and to adapt them for different device types such as the Echo Show, Echo Spot, Fire TV, LG TVs, and the Lenovo Smart Tab. Adding visuals and touch can enhance voice experiences and make skills more engaging and interactive for customers.
- Customers can see images for the sun, clouds, and other conditions when interacting with Big Sky, a skill that uses APL’s ability to adapt content to adjust layout and information density based on the device display size.
Here are the 10 traits of a 'perfect' boss, according to 10 years of research conducted by Google
- In contrast, if you have great managers and team leads, not only will you get the best out of your people, but they'll also be more likely to stick around.
- In contrast, great managers give their people the freedom they crave: freedom to explore their ideas, to take (smart) risks, and to make mistakes.
- Great managers know exactly where the team is right now, where they are headed, and what they need to do to get there.
- If the manager is moved into a new department, he or she will take time to get to know how things are done, and work to build trust before making drastic changes or offering advice.
- If your company can train and promote managers who do these 10 things, you'll build trust and inspire your people to become the best versions of themselves.
#discussWhich non-computer science degrees apply to skills needed for a career in software development?
- Practices like thinking abstractly, thinking deeply, reasoning, constructing logical arguments and synthesising knowledge from different fields have been very useful in my programming work and career.
- Like it has been said before, I believe that the most important skill in software development is logical thinking, just before the ability to learn new skills quickly.
- After having spent a full year before graduating taking Psychology/Cognitive Science classes before transitioning to Computer Science, they helped improve me as a person and a friend.
- I'm android developer student and my knowledge is pretty good, but I have to learn a lot of conversation skills to share my opinions and the university has done a good job with me in this affaire.
- I don't know about degree much .But I think a person with good documentation skills can come in handy in software development.
Las Skills en Español estarán disponibles en Estados Unidos con "In-Skill Purchasing" (ISP) y recompensas para desarrolladores
- En Abril, anunciamos que los desarrolladores podían construir skills para los clientes de habla hispana en los Estados Unidos (US) usando el Alexa Skill Kit (ASK) con el nuevo modelo de lenguaje: Español (US).
- Gana dinero con tus Skills en Español (US) usando la función "In-Skill Purchasing" (ISP) en los Estados Unidos A partir del día de hoy, los developers pueden construir experiencias premium con contenido localizado para los clientes de habla hispana en Estados Unidos.
- Para comenzar en el modelo de lenguaje de Español comienza como sigue: Inténtalo con el ejemplo de Datos Curiosos Revisa la guía paso a paso Navega por nuestra documentación técnica para entender como crear las skills para el modelo de Español (US) Estamos muy emocionados de tener Alexa disponible en Español para Estados Unidos de América y no podemos esperar para ver lo que van a construir.
Publish Spanish Skills in the US and Make Money with In-Skill Purchasing (ISP) and Alexa Developer Rewards
- In April, we announced that developers could start building skills for Spanish-speaking customers in the US using the Alexa Skills Kit (ASK) with the new Spanish for US voice model.
- Make Money with Spanish Skills in the US by Adding In-Skill Purchasing (ISP) Starting today, developers can start building premium skill experiences with localized content that is relevant for Spanish-speaking customers in the US.
- You will be able to monetize your Spanish skills using tools that currently exist: the Alexa Skills Kit Command-Line Interface (ASK CLI) or the Alexa Developer Console.
- The eight eligible skill categories are: Education & Reference Food & Drink Games, Trivia & Accessories Kids Health & Fitness Lifestyle Music & Audio Productivity How to Build Alexa Skills for Spanish Speaking Customers It’s easy to start building voice experiences for Alexa in the new Spanish (US) language model.
New Alexa Skills Training Course: How to Design for In-Skill Purchasing
- Optimize Your Voice Experience for In-Skill Purchasing In order to effectively monetize your Alexa skills, you need to design an experience that inspires your customers to continue using your skill over and over.
- Course Components Introducing Our Use Case Offer the Right Premium Content Make an Offer at the Right Time Write Effective Upsells Make a Smooth Handoff Provide Access to Purchases Wrapping Up & Resources Whether you’ve previously built a skill with in-skill purchasing or you’re just starting out, we consider this course to be a milestone along your Alexa skills educational journey.