Every single Harry Styles song, ranked
- In honor of his new music, five members of Insider's entertainment team ranked every released song from his solo discography on a scale of 1-10, with an average of those scores determining the final rankings.
- Song highlight: The way Styles' voice sounds incredibly vulnerable, raw, and gentle throughout the entire track, almost like he's personally singing you a lullaby and a heartbreaking ballad all at once.
- Masturbation references aside, "From the Dining Table" is a really poignant song about loss ("We haven't spoke since you went away / comfortable silence is so overrated") and the struggles of moving on after the end of a relationship ("Woke up the girl who looked just like you / I almost said your name"), all expressed through achingly vulnerable vocals and the barest of guitar arrangements.
Photos show Michelle Obama and George W. Bush's enduring friendship, built on wisecracks and cough drops
- In 2018, Bush handed Obama cough drops on two different occasions — the first at the memorial service for late Sen. John McCain, and the second at the funeral for George H.
- It's also a friendship that's been a little out of their hands.
- They sang the Civil War-era song "Battle Hymn of the Republic," to honor fallen police officers who were killed by a sniper during a peaceful protest over the police killing of two African-American men.
- Bush also raised a few eyebrows for dancing and lifting his wife and Obama's hands during the somber song.
- In an interview with Today, Obama spoke about their friendship, after their interaction at the memorial had gone viral.
- DeGeneres was criticized for her friendship with Bush after a photo went viral showing the pair sitting together at a football game.
Here are the songs people were most interested in this year, according to Google
- In the song category, Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road," Ariana Grande's "7 Rings," and Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper's "Shallow" topped the list, and Grande was the only artist with two tracks in the rankings.
- Finneas O'Connell, Eilish's brother, co-wrote the song and produced the music video, which had more than 290 million views on YouTube at the time of publishing.
- The song earned the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100, and the music video boasted over 160 million views on YouTube at the time of publishing.
- Originally a sensation on video-sharing platform TikTok, Lil Nas X's country-rap hit "Old Town Road" had widespread international appeal and held the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 for a historic 19 weeks.
All of Taylor Swift's albums, ranked from least to most iconic
- For the ranking, we considered a few factors including cohesiveness, listening experience, the number and quality of standout songs, and if the album is musically interesting or lyrically special.
- Standouts tracks on this album also include "Fearless," an easy listen that captures the sweet feelings surrounding new romances; "Fifteen," a young love story that unfolds over several verses; "White Horse," a slow tune featuring lyrics about heartbreak that cut deep; "Love Story," a romantic tale with a fairytale edge; and "The Best Day," an emotional song that is filled with sweet childhood memories.
- Sure, this album has its highs and lows and is filled with impressive tracks, but it ranks below others because although it feels like many things she does here (like haunting lyrics and pop beats) are things she's done before and done a bit better in her previous releases.
The 113 best songs of the past decade, ranked
- But with "Dang!" — the lead single from his fourth studio album, featuring his friend Anderson .Paak — Miller tapped into a jazzy optimism that heralded his most creative, most fun, and overall best music.
- As a dance anthem about heartbreak, the song bears similarities to her beloved sad girl bop "Dancing On My Own" — designed for times when your feelings are so strong, the only thing left to do is to let them run all the way through you and out the other side.
- For a singer-songwriter who could be described as "punk" just as easily as "pop" — whose defiance, sincerity, and vulnerability seem just as important as her talents for singing and hit-making — what song could speak to her budding legacy more than an outsider's anthem on her debut album, only included on the deluxe version, that prematurely meditated on her own power and went platinum without any promotion?
The Mortals Behind China’s ‘God Songs’
- On major music streaming platforms like Kugou, god songs often outperform releases from big-name pop stars when it comes to listens and downloads in the long run.
- “When more people give their attention to god songs, it seriously impacts us indie musicians who use real soul to make music,” the 30-year-old says.
- Despite having a simple refrain — “Let’s all learn to meow, all together meow, meow, meow, meow, meow” — sung by relatively unknown performers Xiao Feng Feng and Xiao Pan Pan, it quickly won the hearts of millions of Chinese netizens, making it to Billboard Radio China’s top 10 list of the year’s most popular music, as well as finding many fans overseas.
- Strong rhythms are more important for Douyin — a 15-second video platform that is more popular with worldly, well-off millennials and is known for memes such as beauty transformations and pranks — while Kuaishou, with more rural working-class users, favors songs that tell a story.
'Old Town Road,' e-girls, and other TikTok memes topped Google's 'Year in Search'
- Google's annual "Year in Search" reports give a quick glimpse into what celebrities, trends, and events dominated the year.
- This year, TikTok stars and trends on the app are inescapable in Google's report, showing that the app has life beyond a Gen Z niche.
- Singer Lil Nas X made the leap from TikTok fame to mainstream fame after his song "Old Town Road" went viral on the app, then broke the record for longest-running No. 1 song on the Billboard Hot 100.
- "#Area51" was another top ten meme, according to TikTok. Patron Saint of TikTok Lil Nas X soon became involved when someone started a GoFundMe titled "Get Lil Nas X to perform as we storm Area 51." Though the campaign only raised about $400 of its $100,000 goal, the singer did release an animated music video at Area 51.
'Disney Plus' was the #1 U.S. Google search term in 2019
- In the U.S., Disney’s new streaming service “Disney Plus” was the biggest search trend of 2019, followed by Cameron Boyce, Nipsey Hussle, Hurricane Dorian, Antonio Brown, Luke Perry, Avengers: Endgame, Game of Thrones, iPhone 11, and Jussie Smollet.
- Also on the “What is…?” list were “momo” as in the “Momo Challenge,” (an artistic sculpture turned viral hoax) and “What is a boomer?,” referencing the latest teen insult for old people, “OK boomer.” The latter also became a huge TikTok meme.
- Google’s top trends are mainly a reflection of pop culture for the year, Google did take a longer look back this year with its “Decade in Search” retrospective, where it highlights the music, movies and people who influenced culture over the past 10 years.
Every song that hit No. 1 on the chart in 2019, so far
- Moreover, thanks to smash hits like Ariana Grande's "7 Rings" and Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" — both of which dominated radio play and streaming numbers for an unprecedented stretch of weeks — only 16 songs have claimed the chart's top spot so far this year.
- Ariana Grande's 2018 single "Thank U, Next" continued its Billboard Hot 100 reign into the first week of 2019.
- After spending just five weeks on the chart, Lil Nas X's unlikely hit "Old Town Road" surged 15 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 for its first week at No. 1 in April.
- After six weeks at No. 1 and briefly losing the top spot, it reclaimed the title for one week — tying the record for a rap song by a female artist on the Billboard Hot 100.