Lena Dunham's feminist newsletter, which ran articles by Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Obama, is reportedly shutting down
- Lenny Letter, Lena Dunham's feminist newsletter which ran articles by Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Obama, is reportedly shutting down.
- Dunham, who founded the newsletter in 2015, intended for it "make the world better for women and the people who love them," according to the email the newsletter sent to new subscribers.
- But reports in The New York Post and Digiday said that the newsletter and the website that spun out of it will shut down on Friday.
- Nearly half of subscribers were still opening the emails in July 2017, sources told the New York Post.
- Suggestions of the closure began earlier this week when freelance writers were notified by editors that they would receive "kill fees" (compensation for work not being published), the Post reported.
- It published pieces with women like actress Gillian Jacobs, New York Times best-selling novelist Jessica Knoll, and feminist thinker and activist Gloria Steinem.
Fox and MSNBC's dueling coverage of the migrant caravan
- New York (CNN Business) - A version of this article first appeared in the Reliable Sources newsletter.
- The travelers "say they're headed for the United States -— fleeing violence and searching for economic opportunity," CNN.com's latest story says.
- It was covered throughout the day Wednesday on Fox and practically every hour Thursday.
- The migrants keep walking and Trump keeps talking about it, so you can predict Fox's Friday rundowns...
- Trump is "incensed about the rising levels of migrants," according to CNN's Kaitlan Collins and Jeff Zeleny.
- Or as the study puts it, two thirds of Americans are in the "exhausted majority." So Dixon and I talked about media business models that worsen polarization, better ways to cover this subject, and much more...Listen to the pod via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or TuneIn, and lemme know what you think of the convo...
Mysterious big data company Palantir is reportedly looking at an IPO — and could see a valuation of $41 billion
- Palantir, a secretive data-mining company co-founded by Peter Thiel, is looking to go public in a massive IPO that could take place in the second half of 2019, according to the Wall Street Journal.
- Palantir was founded in 2003 by Thiel, a PayPal cofounder and tech investor, and Alex Karp, who is CEO of the company.
- While the details of Palantir's public offering, including the price tag, could change, it falls in line with recent trends of mega valuations as more and more startups chose to stay private longer.
- Uber, the ride-hailing service founded in 2009, could be valued at $120 billion when it goes public in an IPO planned for next year, according to the Journal.
- The value raised in the first three quarters of 2018 was 46.5% greater than the same period last year, and more than three times that of 2016, according to PwC track of data.
Malta: Two-thirds of cryptocurrencers fail multiple-choice licensing exam
- Malta is fast becoming an international hot-spot for blockchain entrepreneurs, but reports have indicated two-thirds of applicants failed the licensing exam for operating cryptocurrency-related businesses.
- The shitty pass rates come even after Malta’s Institute of Financial Service Practitioners made last-minute changes to the marking scheme to boost the number of licenses it could award, Times of Malta reports.
- As part of Malta’s new Virtual Finances Assets Act, cryptocurrency and blockchain businesses are required to be licensed to launch initial coin offerings (ICOs), raise capital, or trade digital assets on exchanges.
- In order to receive a license, applicants must complete a short training course and satisfactorily answer a set of multiple choice questions written by the MFSA.
- Blockchain startups might need to get more serious about understanding their own business to clear the exam – or at least start making crib sheets.
Facebook thinks the hackers that stole 29 million users' info were spammers not a nation state
- Facebook believes that spammers, and not a nation-state, are responsible for the recent hack that stole the personal information of 29 million Facebook users, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
- The report, which cites anonymous sources, says that Facebook has "tentatively" concluded the hackers were spammers who were posing as a digital marketing company.
- The hack, which Facebook first disclosed last month, is the largest breach suffered by the social network.
- The hackers were able to exploit vulnerabilities in Facebook's code to get their hands on "access tokens" — essentially digital keys that give them full access to compromised users' accounts — and then scraped users' data.
- Among the user data stolen by hackers were birthdates, phone numbers, search history and even recent locations the users had "checked in" at.
- Facebook did not immediately return a request for comment.
Rosenstein wants special counsel probe finished soon
- Washington (CNN) - Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has clearly indicated he wants special counsel Robert Mueller's probe to conclude as soon as possible, Bloomberg reports, citing a US official.
- Mueller's office, however, has made no public statements indicating that the investigation is in its final stages despite repeated calls from Trump to wrap up it up as soon as possible.
- Last week, CNN reported that Trump's legal team was preparing to answer written questions provided by Mueller, according to sources familiar with the matter.
- CNN has reported that the questions focus on matters related to the investigation of possible collusion between Trump associates and Russians seeking to meddle in the 2016 election, the sources said.
- According to sources, Trump's lawyers are preparing written responses, in part relying on documents previously provided to the special counsel.