Giant planet found orbiting a dead white dwarf star
- The study suggested a theory that large planets can survive the violent evolution of a star and arrive at a close orbit around it afterward.
- If the red giant devoured the closer planets in its path, this would destabilize the farther orbit of the Jupiter-size planet, sending it into an oval orbit that would bring it close to the white dwarf, but also send it far out.
- While it's not likely that Earth will survive, "Mars, the asteroid belt and all the gas-giant planets will probably survive and stay in altered orbits around the Sun's remains," said Steven Parsons in an article accompanying the Nature study.
- However, the discovery of a planet around a white dwarf raises questions about a unique habitable environment that could exist close to the light of a dying star.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars review: A bare-bones nostalgia warp zone
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a much more bare-bones collection, where Nintendo has done just above the minimum amount of work necessary to get these games functional on new hardware.
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars [Switch] $60 at GameStop $60 at Nintendo eShop (Ars Technica may earn compensation for sales from links on this post through affiliate programs.) To be clear, Nintendo has done a little more than throw some old ROMs into a new Switch-based emulator.
- (For example, the intro screen to Super Mario 64 says "Press +" rather than "Press Start.") There's also a pause menu that lets you switch quickly between the three included games or read through a single-page reference for Mario's controls.
- Super Mario Galaxy needs a bit more finessing to replicate the functions of the original Wii Remote.
- Aside from those minor changes, these games play and look almost exactly like their original counterparts (right down to retrograde 30fps frame rates on Super Mario 64 and Sunshine).
Pittsburgh Steelers player replaces Antwon Rose Jr.'s name on his helmet with the name of a slain veteran
- The Steelers chose to honor Rose, who was 17 when he was shot and killed by East Pittsburgh police after fleeing during a stop in 2018.
- Villanueva, who served three tours in Afghanistan and received several medals for his service, including the Bronze Star, opted to honor US Army Sgt. 1st Class Alwyn C.
- Fifteen years after his death, the Pentagon is seeking to posthumously award Cashe the Medal of Honor for his heroic efforts.
- The Medal of Honor is the United States' highest medal for valor in action, and it has been awarded 3,526 times, according to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society.
- Cashe was awarded the Silver Star Medal, and if upgraded to the Medal of Honor, he would be the first Black service member to be honored with that distinction for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Triller aims for TikTok with additions of influencers like Charli D'Amelio and Addison Rae
- He also touched on Triller’s involvement in several high-profile additions, including influencers and public figures like TikTok star Charli D’Amelio and family, and even Trump himself.
- Though Triller has often positioned itself as a different sort of app than TikTok, the company has steadily worked to onboard the same set of influencers that made TikTok so popular.
- Though Triller often benefits from influencers setting up their own accounts, Lu confirmed Triller reached out to D’Amelio to establish the relationship and to learn how the company could help her create a different type of presence on the Triller app.
- He also declined to speak about the status of Triller’s reported $20 billion bid with Centricus for TikTok assets, but said the company believed it would have been a good home for TikTok creator content from an infrastructure perspective.
“This is the way”: Disney drops first trailer for The Mandalorian S2
- Disney has dropped the first trailer for the second season of The Mandalorian, the Emmy-nominated first live-action Star Wars TV series created by Jon Favreau.
- New S2 cast members include Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano, Anakin Skywalker's former Jedi Padawan, who is now a spymaster for the Rebel Alliance; Katee Sackhoff as Bo-Katan Kryze (reprising her voice role from The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series), who leads a Mandalorian group known as the Nite Owls; Timothy Olyphant as Cobb Vanth, a former slave who now has possession of fan favorite/bounty hunter Boba Fett's armor; and Temuera Morrison as Boba Fett—a bit of a surprise since the character seemingly perished in Return of the Jedi.
- The official S2 premise is appropriately vague: "The Mandalorian and The Child continue their journey, facing enemies and rallying allies as they make their way through a dangerous galaxy in the tumultuous era after the collapse of the Galactic Empire." The trailer doesn't offer much beyond that.
Baby Yoda is back: Disney+ debuts new 'Mandalorian' trailer
- Disney gave fans their first look at the second season of its breakout streaming hit, "The Mandalorian" on Tuesday.
- The two-minute trailer took viewers to a galaxy far, far away as the bounty hunter known as the Mandalorian and his little green friend nicknamed Baby Yoda, fought their way through the wretched hive of scum and villainy in the Star Wars universe.
- Disney made sure Tuesday's trailer showcased everything that fans and Disney+ subscribers loved about the show's first season.
- The highly anticipated second season of the hit series is shaping up to be another big win for Disney in a year where the company will take any win it can get.
- The coronavirus pandemic forced the company to shut down its parks and resorts for months, pushed back production on new content like Disney+'s Marvel series, and caused havoc with Disney's theatrical schedule by delaying blockbusters.