Microsoft is making the Windows command line a lot better
- While there are third-party efforts to do the same on Windows (with programs such as ConEmu), they all tend to be quite limited: they work by creating a Windows console window, hiding it somewhere off-screen, and scraping the characters from that console window.
- Microsoft is working to build a better console for Windows, one that, we hope, will open the door to the same flexibility and capabilities that Unix users have enjoyed for more than 40 years.
- The command-line team is publishing a series of blog posts describing the history of the Windows command-line, and how the operating system's console works.
- The big reveal of the new API is coming soon, and with this, Windows should finally be able to have reliable, effective tabbed consoles, with emoji support, rich Unicode, and all the other things that the Windows console doesn't do...
Angelique Kerber claims Wimbledon title, denying Serena Williams an historic win
- Angelique Kerber claimed her first Wimbledon title with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over seven-time champion Serena Williams.
- Kerber made just five unforced errors compared to Williams' 24 as the German reversed the result of the 2016 final.
- It is the third Grand Slam title of Kerber's career, adding to her Australian and U.S. Open triumphs in 2016.
- The 36-year-old Williams, who was seeking a 24th Grand Slam title, 10 months after having her first child.
Fortnite's Summer Skirmish kicks off today, with $8 million prize pool
- Alongside its 125 million users and record-breaking Twitch streams, the game has also drawn many competitive players away from their usual titles to try their hand at Battle Royale.
- At 4pm ET, Fortnite Battle Royale’s Summer Skirmish will kick off, with $8 million going to tournament winners over the course of the competition, with a whopping $250K going to the winners of today’s tournament.
- Celebrity Twitch streamer Ninja held a charity tournament in April, and Epic held a ProAm tournament combining competitive players and celebs who play Fortnite in June.
- This will be one of the highest paying Fortnite tournaments to date, and is yet just a small fraction of Epic Games’ promised $100 million prize pool for competitive play this year.
- Epic Games’ Fortnite pulled in a record-breaking $318 million in June alone.
Serena Williams v Angelique Kerber for Wimbledon crown
- Germany's experienced Angelique Kerber stands in the way of the 36-year-old American and an eighth, and arguably most impressive, All England Club singles crown which would see her match Margaret Court's all-time record of 24 Grand Slam titles.
- Williams, seeded 25th after her maternity break, would not be the first player to take time off to have a baby and return to win Wimbledon but it has not happened for 38 years since Australian Evonne Goolagong beat American Chris Evert in 1980.
- Even for a player who missed eight months due to knee surgery after her 2003 Wimbledon win, another six in 2006, which she later blamed on depression, and had a year out after lacerating her foot on broken glass following her 2010 Wimbledon triumph, this comeback has perhaps been her biggest challenge.
- Six months later she surpassed Steffi Graf's Open era record of Grand Slam titles by winning the Australian Open while pregnant, before signing off for maternity leave.