Man killed by his own captive lions in South Africa
- The victim has been named by local media as Leon van Biljon, and South African news website Netwerk24 reported that he was killed at the Mahala View Lion Lodge, near the northern town of Cullinan, as he attempted to fix a broken fence in the lion enclosure.
- Cullinan is a small town east of Pretoria, the capital of South Africa.
- The lodge website said three lions -- named Rambo, Katryn and Nakita -- were kept on the property, which functions as a safari lodge and offers accommodation, game drives and conference facilities.
- Local outlet News24 reported that van Biljon was killed by one of his own lions.
- Cullinan Police spokeswoman Connie Moganedi confirmed to CNN that a 70-year-old man was killed by caged lions on Tuesday around midday.
- CNN has contacted the Mahala View Lion Lodge for comment.
A Welsh town is building anti-sex public toilets using 'terrifying' methods including squealing alarms, doors shooting open, and cold jets of water
- There'll be no more sex or violence in one small town's public toilets.
- Porthcawl, a Welsh seaside town, is spending $200,000 to upgrade its public toilets, so they no longer allow inappropriate sexual activity or vandalism, CNN reported.
- Inside the toilet, weight sensors will be monitoring activity, and ensuring only one person is in the bathroom at one time.
- This will also help to ensure rough sleepers won't be able to use the toilets as a place to stay.
- Mike Clarke, a town councilor, told Local Democracy Reporting Service, the toilet rebuild was an important element of the town's ambition to ensure the town was a great place to live, work, and visit.
- In Siberia, a water company built a public toilet of shame outside in freezing cold temperatures to punish people who didn't pay their bills on time.
Anti-sex toilets to spray users with water jets
- A Welsh seaside town aims to put people off having sex in its new public toilets by including features to disturb those in the act.
- All toilets would be fitted with a full high pressure floor and wall washer which could be operated either after every user, or after a certain number of users per day.
- Our journalists will try to respond by joining the threads when they can to create a true meeting of independent minds.
- The existing Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who do not subscribe to Independent Minds.
- Due to the sheer scale of this comment community, we are not able to give each post the same level of attention, but we have preserved this area in the interests of open debate.
- Please continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates.
Public toilets prevent people from having sex with a bidet-like spray of water
- Porthcawl, on Wales' southern coast, plans to replace its Griffin Park public toilets with models that deter "inappropriate sexual activity and vandalism," as the Press Association reports.
- According to WalesOnline, the toilets will cost Porthcawl Town Council £170,000 (about $200,000), while users will pay an as yet undetermined fee to access them.
- Movement sensors inside the toilets will respond to "violent" activity, while weight sensors will be installed to detect the entrance of more than one person, triggering the deterrent measures.
- The planning documents also include a high pressure floor and wall washer, which could activate after every use of the toilet, or less frequently.
- The toilets have already come under criticism on social media, however, with some calling them cruel and suggesting they could "humiliate" users.
- The existing toilets will close for demolition in October, after which the new, high-tech facilities will be constructed.