Ask HN: Which abandoned proprietary software would you resurrect?
- We run every day.The battery life is pretty phenomenal, the step counter and weather bits are handy, the GPS just works, you need the AmazTools app if you want to share your runs to Strava (but it works great), I have an alarm set to shake my wrist every morning at 7am, and if I destroy the watch..
- The battery life is pretty phenomenal, the step counter and weather bits are handy, the GPS just works, you need the AmazTools app if you want to share your runs to Strava (but it works great), I have an alarm set to shake my wrist every morning at 7am, and if I destroy the watch..
- To this day no Android phone I've used ever as fast, reliable or plain refined as WP8 was.Unique design and many genuinely useful features, and it reflected a time when smartphones could have been vibrant and diverse, not our current two mega-platforms or nothing.
FT Seasonal Appeal auction: have lunch with an FT writer
- Ever wanted to have lunch with an FT writer?
- This year, in aid of the FT’s staff-voted Seasonal Appeal partner, Habitat for Humanity, we will be auctioning lunch with some of our award-winning writers.
- Discuss business, world politics or cricket with the FT’s Editor.
- Get the latest watch recommendation and talk luxury travel destinations with How to Spend It’s Editor.
- Discuss the economy and all things US with our US Managing Editor and award-winning author.
- Lunch with Rana Foroohar will provide some insight.
- Habitat for Humanity is a leading charity focused entirely on home building, housing and every issue related with it, working in more than 70 countries.
- Through the Financial Times Seasonal Appeal you can support their vital work to fight the global housing crisis.
- A matching scheme for donations has been generously provided by the Hilti Foundation, a charitable organisation.
Apple releases new Beddit sleep tracker
- Apple has released the first Beddit sleep tracker since acquiring the Finnish company in 2017, via CNET.
- The Beddit 3.5 Sleep Monitor is a thin sensor strip that can be placed under the bedsheet to track body movements through the night.
- The advantage over other sleep monitoring fitness trackers is you don’t need to wear an activity tracker to bed, or remember to use it.
- You can still connect it to your Apple Watch, which can display sleep report notifications, bedtime reminders, and nudges when synced.
- Your sleep analysis and heart rate data is also accessible through the Health app on iOS 12 or later.
- The Apple Watch Series 4 still doesn’t offer any native sleep-tracking abilities, but for now there’s third-party apps that’ll help track your bedtime, including Beddit’s own app.
- Until then, Apple’s new Beddit Sleep Monitor is looking to fill that gap.
77 years after the attack, a retired Navy commander remembers surviving Pearl Harbor
- Don Long was alone on an anchored military seaplane in the middle of a bay across the island from Pearl Harbor when Japanese warplanes started striking Hawaii on December 7, 1941, watching from afar as the bombs and bullets killed and wounded thousands.
- The waves of attacking planes reached his military installation on Kaneohe Bay soon after Pearl Harbor was struck, and the young sailor saw buildings and planes start to explode all around him.
- This year, Long plans to visit school children to talk about Pearl Harbor, then will light a beacon atop Mount Diablo in Concord, California.
- Gasoline was ablaze on the water, so he jumped into the bay and swam beneath the flames to get away from the burning plane.
- Once the attack planes left Long saw flames, smoke and sinking aircraft all around the bay.
Save 30% sitewide at Adidas — and more of today's best deals from around the web
- Now through December 10, you can save 30% on your entire purchase at Adidas by using the promo code "ADIFAM" at checkout.
- To help you save on holiday gifts, L.L.Bean is having a huge sale on full-price items and those that have previously been marked down.
- Today only, you can save an extra 25% on your order by using the promo code "SAVEBIG" at checkout.
- You won't see the sale promoted anywhere on the site, but it includes clothing and footwear for men, women, kids, outdoor equipment, home goods, and travel gear.
- Use the promo code "GIFT20" at checkout to save 20% when you spend $100 or more and receive free shipping.
- You can save up to an extra 30% by using the promo code "FRIEND" at checkout.
This DIY Enigma machine fits inside a pocket watch
- This amazing Enigma Pocket Watch.
- This tiny watch, created by a maker calling himself asciimation, uses an Arduino Pro Micro and a small OLED screen to recreate the Enigma machine in pure code.
- Asciimation previously built an Enigma wristwatch and he is working on a 3D-printed Enigma machine.
- The Enigma was a seemingly unbreakable encoding machine used by the Germans during World War II and was about the size of a small briefcase.
- Stuffing all of the logic into a tiny watch case — of WWII vintage — is an amazing feat.
- Luckily the aforementioned time travel device was never built and this wild little pocket watch never made it into enemy hands, but we can only imagine the havoc it would wreak if some Panzer captain somewhere had one of these on his belt.
Apple Watch 4's ECG heart monitor feature is live, here's how to use it
- One of the biggest upgrades to the Apple Watch Series 4 from its predecessor is its ability to record an electrocardiogram and detect issues with how the user’s heart is functioning.
- The company’s FDA-approved feature is now live for users in the US.
- The device can detect irregularities in your heartbeat, which can point to critical conditions like atrial fibrillation that may result in a stroke.
- If your Watch classifies your rhythm as a high heart rate or atrial fibrillation, you’ll want to talk to your doctor.
- Visit Hard Fork.
- However, it’s worth noting that the Watch only records a basic single-lead ECG, and so can’t detect a stroke, heart attack or other heart conditions like the 12-lead ECGs taken at a doctor’s office.
Best Buy is having a huge sale on Apple tech — you can save on everything from an iPhone to an Apple Watch
- If you want some additional help to decide which particular model you should get, we have a handy buying guide for the best MacBooks, Macs, iPads, iPhones, and Apple Watches, so you can make the best choice.
- The MacBook Pro is Apple's most powerful laptop — so if you need a device for work, photo or video editing, and so on, then it's worth looking into getting a MacBook Pro. The MacBook Air is slightly less powerful, but it's thinner, and still a great choice for common everyday tasks like writing, web browsing, and watching video.
- The Mac Mini is a great way to experience Apple's macOS operating system without the need for a laptop or all-in-one like the iMac. While the device is new, it is still getting discounted.
Joe Jonas says he 'blacked out for a minute' during his best man speech at Nick and Priyanka's wedding, because he was so emotional
- Joe Jonas, who was a best man at Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra's wedding, said that he was so "overwhelmed with emotion" that he "blacked out for a minute" during his toast.
- Recently, the 29-year-old shared People's photo from the Western ceremony and welcomed Chopra to the family.
- Nick and Priyanka Chopra tied the knot during two extravagant ceremonies that took place on Saturday and Sunday.
- They had a Christian service for Nick's faith and a Hindu service to honor Chopra's background.
- Watch Joe's "Today" show interview below.
- Visit INSIDER's homepage for more.
- Follow INSIDER on Facebook.
Apple’s anticipated ECG app rolls out today in watchOS 5.1.2
- The newest update for Apple Watches is out now, bringing a highly anticipated feature to Series 4 devices.
- Apple Watch Series 4 devices all have built-in electrodes that can measure electrocardiograms, or ECGs. At the time of the Watch's debut in September, Apple's native app with which the electrodes communicate wasn't ready for consumer use.
- To take an ECG reading, users must place their finger on the flat side of the Digital Crown on their Series 4 Watch.
- The electrode on the Digital Crown communicates with the other electrode on the Watch, which sits near the heart rate monitor, to take a complete ECG measurement.
- But even with the Series 4's FDA-clearance tag, neither the Watch nor Apple's ECG app are diagnostic tools, and they won't replace a doctor's visit.
- Download watchOS 5.1.2 by going to the Software Update section of the General menu in the Watch iOS app.