Dell Latitude 9510 2-in-1 review: this battery means business
- (Plus, companies that buy these things in bulk aren’t usually paying sticker price.) Unfortunately, this laptop costs more than most of those without offering drastically better benefits for most people — so I’m only comfortable recommending it to a very specific swath of business users.
- The only other laptop I’ve tried this year that’s come close to this result is Lenovo’s IdeaPad Slim 7 — and the Latitude beats that by a good hour.
- At this price point, I’d hope to see something like HP’s SureView Reflect (which tints the screen such that you can’t snoop over someone’s shoulder) or the software on Lenovo’s IdeaPad Slim 7 that blurs the display when you’re looking away.
- There are some customers for whom this laptop might make sense: People for whom the 17-hour battery life is a must-have at all costs, and companies who have need for Dell’s specific security features and enterprise ecosystem.
Microsoft Surface Pro X (2020) review: ARM gets more muscle
- I can now run most of the apps I need on this new Surface Pro X, and most run a lot better than they did a year ago.
- Spotify brought the Surface Pro X to its knees last year, but I’ve noticed it’s now a 64-bit ARM app and launches without killing the rest of the system.
- If you’re using a lot of emulated apps then this will understandably hit battery life more, which is something we saw with Chrome running on the Pro X last year.
- Microsoft’s latest Surface Pro X is a better glimpse into an ARM laptop future that has been promised for years.
- With Microsoft offering a base model with the older SQ1 processor for $999.99, it feels like we’re on the verge of ARM-powered Windows laptops becoming a lot more affordable and capable.
PS5 will be missing some PS4 video-streaming apps at launch
- It seems that many of the video-streaming apps on the PS4 won't be available on the PlayStation 5 at launch.
- That's a marked contrast to the Xbox Series X, where media apps designed for the Xbox One work seamlessly on the new hardware.
- The PS4 currently hosts versions of 21 different media-streaming apps.
- Among the ones not even mentioned in today's PS5 blog post: CBS All Access, CBS News, HBO Max, Crackle, CrunchyRoll, Funimation, NBA, NFL, PlutoTV, Plex, VRV, and Vudu.
- Further ReadingXbox Series X unleashed: Our unrestricted previewBy contrast, existing Xbox One media apps just work on the Xbox Series X.
- In the long run, this probably won't be a huge difference between the two consoles.
- Sony also used today's blog post to announce a specially designed Media Remote for the PS5, currently listed for $29.99 at Best Buy and Target.
Yacht: Web interface for managing containers with 1 click deployments
- Yacht is a container management UI with a focus on templates and 1-click deployments.
- Currently only linux has been verified as working but we are open to the idea of supporting windows eventually as well.
- Currently Yacht is compatible with portainer templates.
- You'll add a template url in the "Add Template" settings.
- The the template will be read, separated into apps, and imported into the database.
- The apps associated with the templates are linked via a db relationship so when the template is removed, so are the apps associated with it.
- We store the template url as well so we can enable updating templates with a button press.
- In templates you are able to define variables (starting with !) to have them automatically replaced by whatever variable the user has set in their server settings (ie.
- !config will be replaced by /yacht/AppData/Config by default).
All the ways to turn your phone or camera into a webcam
- Fujifilm has released new software that lets you use certain X-series and GFX-series mirrorless cameras as ultra-high-quality webcams.
- Olympus is becoming the latest camera company to release an app that allows customers to use its mirrorless cameras as high-quality webcams with a new OM-D Webcam Beta app for both Windows 10 and macOS.
- The software, still in beta since its quiet release, lets you plug your camera into your Mac or Windows machine and have it recognized as a video source in apps like Google Meet and Zoom.
- Sony has released a new version of its Imaging Edge Webcam software for Macs, which allows you to directly plug in a recent Sony camera to use as a high-quality webcam for Zoom or Skype calls on your computer.
Windows 10 October 2020 Update is now available with an updated Start menu and more
- Microsoft is releasing its Windows 10 October 2020 Update to over a billion users today.
- Microsoft has, however, made some interesting tweaks, including a refreshed Start menu, some Alt Tab changes, and the bundling of the new Chromium-powered Microsoft Edge.
- Traditionally, you use Alt Tab to cycle through desktop apps that are open in Windows, but the list now includes all open tabs in Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft has never made it easy to set up and control monitor refresh rates in Windows, leading to many forgetting to enable 144Hz or higher modes on their monitors.
- Notifications now include app logos at the top to make them easier to manage and identify, the taskbar has been decluttered for new Windows 10 users, and tablet mode no longer shows a notification if you’re using a 2-in-1 laptop.
After outcry, Microsoft presses pause on unsolicited Windows 10 web app installs
- On Saturday, I pointed out how Microsoft force-restarting Windows 10 computers to install unwanted web apps was the latest proof you don’t own your own Windows PC.
- Today, the company says it was at least partly a mistake — and will be pausing the “migration” that brought web apps to your Start Menu this way.
- Originally, Microsoft tells The Verge, the idea was that any website you pinned to the Start Menu would launch in Microsoft Edge.
- If your website of choice had a PWA web app version, the Edge browser could automatically launch that as well.
- But — in what Microsoft seems to be calling a bug, though we’re trying to get clarity as to which part was the bug — the change also made it look like existing web shortcuts to its own Microsoft Office products had installed a web app on your PC as well.